Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

Neutral Indicator Stopped Working

15K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  zmky 
#1 ·
Hey Guys

I've got an issue with my Neutral indicator. The light doesn't come on anymore when i'm in neutral. Occasionally the light will slightly come on but be quite dim and then go away when i click gear and back to neutral again.

The other odd occurrence is that occasionally it will come on full strength when i go to start the bike but flick off soon as i push the start button.

I'm no good with electrical issues so i need your input. I've checked the sensor at the engine and it's definately plugged in firm.

Cheers for your help.
Mike

#4 ·
I dont think it is the dash light because the ecu is receiving a "gear engaged" signal. Ive had to disconnect the kick stand switch from the kick stand otherwise I have to sit on the bike when I want to start it in the morning. I still need to pull the clutch in when I start it which tells me the bike thinks it's in gear.

Last time I was looking for the problem I bumped a small black box containing relays and the light came back on (full strength). The box is located under the brace that supports the pillion seat. Is the the ignition relay?

#8 ·
Hi,

I dont know extract you can start engine when neutral light lost ?

- If you can press start button and engine run normal, neutral signal lost from sensor to meter.
- If you cant start engine without press clutch level when in neutral, neutral sigal lost from sensor to relay box.

How to fix : you can use a wire and connect neutral sensor and relay box direct (light green wire). Neutral sensor on the left side, under front sprocket, relay box under seat.

Sorry for my english, i hope you can understant my mind :)

#10 ·
Hey guys yesterday, I had time to mess with the bike so I opened the front chain grip to clean the area ,that sensor there is the neutral sensor ? How could I do something there and messed with the sensor ? I unscrew it, clean it and screw it back again . But after this my neutral light does work and the bike doesn't start with out clutch .

#22 ·
I had this problem too. In the begin it stopped working when it was hot outside. When colder sometimes flickering, but in the end it just stopped.
First I searched for this and found that the most solved it with a new neutral switch. So I bought a new one from the dealer, but it didn't solve my problem.

Product Circuit component Electronic component Electric blue Font
Gas Household hardware Auto part Plumbing Electric blue

I looked at the wiring diagram and started measuring with the multimeter. Since the neutral switch had one wire, so it's a grounded switch.
I measured for continuity first Neutral Switch-Relay Box and Neutral Switch-ECU, because it was easier to reach. But no contact at all.
So I opened almost everything and measured again for continuity Neutral Switch-Unit Meter and also found no contact, so I was sure it's a broken cable (I measured also before and after connectors to make sure connectors are also good).

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

This is the electrical diagram I found, two pieces I merged them in one and highlighted the wire for the Neutral switch

Schematic Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

I simplified it to this one (the cable from Neutral switch to main loom has different coloured dots)

Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Symmetry

After ripping the loom hose, I found this mess. And I could just separate the cables from each other (from Neutral Switch to main loom from Unit Meter, Speedo)

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Car
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply Wire
Electrical wiring Wire Auto part Electrical supply Electric blue
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread
Sleeve Aqua Tints and shades Electric blue Pattern

The reason: water resulting into corrosion and sh*t quality of connecting and isolating wires. Here a video with the water inside loom hose.

--->> See next post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.