Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

two problems could they be related.

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  JohnJuan 
#1 ·
I have two issues one I thought was resolved but apparently not. My bike was acting like it was starving for fuel it I run it consistently at more then 1/2 throttle. I can ride around town and never have a problem, but I f I try to hold a good clip, like 100 indicated for a stretch, or if I try and run it hard through the gears it starts to starve. I can basically pull the clutch in and coast for 30 seconds and then be OK for a few miles and repeat.

I cleaned my tank out and it did have rust, blew the pump, tank vent and fuel lines out with my compressor, and ran a tank through with b12 chemtool. I saw the fuel line was kinked from in proper routing it has now been routed correctly and problem persists. The bike has new plugs too.

The second problem feels like clutch slipping. If I get on it hard shifting from 1st to second and sometimes third the rpm jump up to around 9000-10000 but I do not get a lot of power production. They eventually settle and the bike goes. This seems like clutch slip to me whats the easiest fix? temporary or permanent. Can I shim the springs to diagnose the problem? I am looking at an ebc street racer clutch kit, would this be a good replacement? Money is an issue. I was advised to run new oil with sea foam, which I will try, but I would be surprised if this fixed it. I figure while the oil is drained I could easily shim the springs or throw some stiffer ones in the clutch to hold me over.

Lastly could these problems be related, meaning what I am thinking is fuel starving is the clutch or what I think is the clutch slipping is really a fuel issue?

Thanks guys.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Damn. You helped me fix my problem (fuel cutting out, not clutch slip) but that sucks. Maybe your fuel pump or relay are going bad? I would start by replacing the fuel line with a brand new OEM one. They're made of nylon and not meant to be kinked at all. It could be collaped just enough to drop fuel pressure. I wouldn't trust the old one I had on mine so I bought a brand new one.

It definitely sounds like 2 different issues.....fuel delivery and clutch slipping. I'm not positive but I think a new set of plates is only like $80.

#3 · (Edited)
so the fuel line did fix your problem? I saw your post and the shop did a few things. I can ride around and essentially be fine in town, but there's definitely a problem.

I didn't realize I need a protractor to check the dang clutch adjustment correctly. lol

I was chasing twp 50+ year old street bikers on a ducati street fighter and cherry built zrx1200 and couldn't keep up because of this. Way more advanced riders then me.

#6 · (Edited)
Its the line at least problem 1. is. its a hard line inside a sleave, once its kinked it will stay kinked.

I took some pics but the line was folded in a few places. i will post the pics latter.

clutch line was not routed correctly, more to come if that fixes the problem.

I will post pics when I try to build another line, I have too before I shell out that much money for a hose.

#7 ·
I had the same thoughts in terms of building a new line but I don't really think its possible. I dropped the line into a pot of boiling water for 30 minutes in hopes of loosening the connectors on the ends, but they're pressed in there really good. Also you need to keep in mind that the line and fuel rail is pressurized at about 50 psi so normal fuel line cannot be used. Also they're non standard connectors on the line so good luck finding any if you plan on building a line. I hate to tell you but I just don't think its possible, but if you figure it out, please let us know. I paid $90 for a new line, and yes, it fixed my problem. Put 250 miles on the bike this weekend with no issues.

#8 ·
iv got answer to tht fuel line as it happend to me cut the line to wards the conecter wive stanly bland but be carfule cos theres on ring under the line the go halfords buy 8mm teflon feul line with 2 juble clips and cut to leng and conecte to both clip on the fuel pump side and fuel rail side

#9 ·
I carefully cut the connectors out of the fuel line. They are barbed connectors with O-Rings on the end. I replaced the blue o-rings and used a piece of 5/16 EFI fuel line from the autoparts store. This should be good into the 50psi range. I also hose clamped the ends (should be unnneccesary for barbs). I have no leaks and rode into work yesterday (3miles in city).

I did find harder high pressure fuel line but only in 3/8 and 1/4 this line was good to 200psi but the size was wrong. No 5/16 or 8 mm.

I'll try and get it out and see if it works this weekend, I wanted to build a longer line to make removing the tank easier. I know I have to go under it atleast two more times and I could easily see it getting kinked again.

I adjusted the clutch like the manual, I could not get a 60 degree angle by eye but that seems better as well. Its a shame if you buy something used in what looks like good condition you have to make all these adjustments.

The bike also fell over off the stand somehow sunday and cracked my tail, it fell into my z-rex as well amazingly that didn't really get messed up. Bad day.

#10 ·
I have an update.

The 5/16 fuel line from the auto parts store did not work. It was 50psi but too soft and eventually when pushed hard enough folded in on itself. It was a 8-9 dollar hose.

So I did what I was going to first and decided against, I bought 1 foot of 3/8 hi pressure fuel line from ACE hardware and clamped that to the ends from the fuel hose. It works fine and I have not had any more issues, if I did this the first time I would have been out 4 bucks. You live and you learn I guess.

#11 · (Edited)
If you want to construct a OEM type gas line . check your local Marine store and get the same type of connectors based on size . They are dry connectors so once they are connected its not coming off again so be careful. The fuel pump has a lot to do with fuel supply. Also check injector harness and coils . The nyour clutch cable for kinked ,...non smoth ...tight clutch cable . This puts slight random pressure on the clutch plate that engages the clutch thus slipping . slippage is a clutch cable related problem 9 out of 10 times . you have two totally different tissues that work in sync so if one is not working properly it affects others . eg ....if the fuel pump is not pumping properly the bike will misfire thus created a misfire that will cause bike to loose power . This in turn throws your whole bike system out of sync. i changed my trottle body and injector harness and spark plugs . This eliminated alot of problems. like stumbling .....poor power deliverance ..........and rough operations at low speeds !! The thing about older bikes at this point in a 03-06 lifetime is....many old parts need to be changed .Rightnow im working on a cooling problem. Fan not coming on but im bleeding the system now then im going to tackle aka test all cooling sensors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.