Should I buy a Z1000? - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Should I buy a Z1000?

Hi there,

Thanks for clicking on my thread. I would appreciate all opinions!

After many years, dreaming of buying a brand new motorcycle off the showroom floor, I am ALMOST at the stage in my life where I can make this happen.

I want to buy a 2019 Z1000 but I'm unsure as to whether I should. I have been looking to pick up a 2019. All reviews sound great but some things remain unclear.

- It's largely unchanged from the 2017 and 2018 model, right? What changes took place if any?
- Am I correct in thinking that the 2019 does have a gear indicator and shift light?
(I know the 2017 introduced this but I wasn't sure if it was kept on more recent models...
I thought maybe the purists complained).
- Is it worth getting the Z1000R, or is the standard model almost just as good?
Would the R edition mean I'd only be paying for OHLINS and BREMBO logos?
- Can the body kit be easily removed for painting? I am leaning towards the R edition but much prefer the colours on the standard.

That's all for now. Thanks again for taking the time to read my post.

Last edited by Red89; 06-04-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Red89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 10:47 AM
Junior Member
 
Leesz1000r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red89 View Post
Hi there,

Thanks for clicking on my thread. I would appreciate all opinions!

After many years, dreaming of buying a brand new motorcycle off the showroom floor, I am ALMOST at the stage in my life where I can make this happen.

I want to buy a 2019 Z1000 but I'm unsure as to whether I should. I have been looking to pick up a 2019. All reviews sound great but some things remain unclear.

- It's largely unchanged from the 2017 and 2018 model, right? What changes took place if any?
- Am I correct in thinking that the 2019 does have a gear indicator and shift light?
(I know the 2017 introduced this but I wasn't sure if it was kept on more recent models...
I thought maybe the purists complained).
- Is it worth getting the Z1000R, or is the standard model almost just as good?
Would the R edition mean I'd only be paying for OHLINS and BREMBO logos?
- Can the body kit be easily removed for painting? I am leaning towards the R edition but much prefer the colours on the standard.

That's all for now. Thanks again for taking the time to read my post.
Hi... I got the 2017 z1000r,and alot of the people on forums ,saiy it's not,it's down to personal chose I spoke,and alot of people and they like to choose to mod the standard zed,just to choose there own path of chose,u can pic up a 2017 z1000r on eBay at the Mo,for £8,500 bargain to what a new one will cost u... But it's personal chose,I do believe all models from 2016ish have gear indicators in the clock,and slipper clutches,as standard,but ask,I may be wrong But it is up to u... I would Buy a low mileage second hand,save the money,whatever year u go for....

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk
rcannon, 2Wheels and Red89 like this.
Leesz1000r is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi Leesz1000r. Thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my thread. Ah, understood. So the 2017/18 may be the way to go. Seems there is no difference. I must say there is a certain appeal to having it roll off the showroom floor with 2 years guarantee and 0 miles. I've had many issues with pre-owned bikes and would love to not have to worry about that for a while.

I do know that the 2019 has the slipper clutch, just can't find the information on the gear indicator and shift light. I think yours (2017) was the first with these, going by my research.

Beautiful bike you've got!
Red89 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Junior Member
 
Leesz1000r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red89 View Post
Hi Leesz1000r. Thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my thread. Ah, understood. So the 2017/18 may be the way to go. Seems there is no difference. I must say there is a certain appeal to having it roll off the showroom floor with 2 years guarantee and 0 miles. I've had many issues with pre-owned bikes and would love to not have to worry about that for a while.



I do know that the 2019 has the slipper clutch, just can't find the information on the gear indicator and shift light. I think yours (2017) was the first with these, going by my research.



Beautiful bike you've got!
I'm shore the new models,have definitely got gear indicators,try Colchester Kawasaki,was a good place to look if I remember right,take a look there.... I think there easy enuf to work on bikes... Phone them ask a few questions...

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk
Red89 likes this.
Leesz1000r is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought a brand new z1000r performance edition last month for just under £10k OTR. I have only done 1800 miles so far [I have other bikes to ride] The bike came with carbon Acrapovic exhaust cans, Ohlins rear suspension and Brembo M50 front brake callipers, slipper and clutch assist [noticably light at the lever] as expected. Also included as standard on the R edition, round [not wavy] Brembo brake discs and braided front lines, which I prefer, and of course the very useful gear indicator. Since purchase I have added Puig touring screen, a front Pyramid Plastics 'fenda extenda' and a rear hugger extension for obvious reasons. I also fitted a guard for the vunerable radiator, just in case! After running in I fitted a 16 tooth front sprocket and a 41 tooth rear chainwheel [from 15/43] as it was massively under geared for me. What attracted me to the z1000 was the fact that it has no electronic gadgets apart from the obligatory ABS and the R version was the one I wanted, but the standard z1000 is an excellent VFM bike and the Kawasaki induction noise is addictive.
Leesz1000r and Red89 like this.
Kenyun is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I think my Z1000R is the best motorcycle in the world ever made FOR ME! I don't need stupid electronic aids and hate truck sounding v-twins or v-4s or ...
I have 21,000 km (and counting) on my Z1000R an enjoyed every single km of it! I'd say R version definitely is worth it. The breaking feel on brembo M50 with steel lines and brembo rotors is something that I can never go back. also rear ohlins is really nice to have and if you want to do these upgrades yourself, should pay more!
But this is all me and may not work for others. Like I don't enjoy riding my wife's light weight bike (its a 2018 Triumph Street triple R). It feels too toyish to me! I'd rather FEEL of my Z1000R.
Leesz1000r and Red89 like this.
thisisme is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 06-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Leesz1000r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I couldn't agree more,I love my zed,its got Austin racing cans, delkavic headers,shed loads of titanium bolts,rizoma mirrors carbon fiber,the list goes on.... But my zed is worth it,it's all about personal chose,I like the z1000r when I first saw it,it was based on looks,never they I would own it though,so lucky but I'm a Kawasaki zed freak anyway... Best naked bike by a mile...

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk
racer and Red89 like this.
Leesz1000r is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 06-06-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesz1000r View Post
I'm shore the new models,have definitely got gear indicators,try Colchester Kawasaki,was a good place to look if I remember right,take a look there.... I think there easy enuf to work on bikes... Phone them ask a few questions...

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk
That's great news, thank you for that. I would do exactly that based on your recommendation but I actually don't live in the UK anymore, I'm from London but live in Holland these days. Maybe I'll call them anyway and just have a chat. The bloke that owns my local Kawasaki dealer is a nice enough guy, but not the best communicator. Cheers, mate!
Red89 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 06-06-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenyun View Post
I bought a brand new z1000r performance edition last month for just under £10k OTR. I have only done 1800 miles so far [I have other bikes to ride] The bike came with carbon Acrapovic exhaust cans, Ohlins rear suspension and Brembo M50 front brake callipers, slipper and clutch assist [noticably light at the lever] as expected. Also included as standard on the R edition, round [not wavy] Brembo brake discs and braided front lines, which I prefer, and of course the very useful gear indicator. Since purchase I have added Puig touring screen, a front Pyramid Plastics 'fenda extenda' and a rear hugger extension for obvious reasons. I also fitted a guard for the vunerable radiator, just in case! After running in I fitted a 16 tooth front sprocket and a 41 tooth rear chainwheel [from 15/43] as it was massively under geared for me. What attracted me to the z1000 was the fact that it has no electronic gadgets apart from the obligatory ABS and the R version was the one I wanted, but the standard z1000 is an excellent VFM bike and the Kawasaki induction noise is addictive.
Blimey, you're joking... That's far less than what they want for it in Holland. Here, they ask £14.340 (equivalent) for it... The tax authorities add a "luxury tax" to vehicles which I knew was high... But bloody hell. I appreciate you giving me a breakdown of the features, that's extremely helpful. You've very kindly given me all the information I needed. I messaged the bloke that owns the local Kawi dealer on Sunday - I'm still waiting for a response. I'm guessing the extra 4 grand is not for quality of service, eh.

I must admit, when I first saw the Z1000(R) I thought it was one of the oddest looking machines I'd ever seen. But it has seriously grown on me, and now I think it's the best looking bike going. I also love the fact that there's no computers babysitting me, just raw power on tap.

I only own one other bike but the Z1000R will be my every day ride. I would love to see a picture of the mods you've done if you have any.
Red89 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 06-06-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
I think my Z1000R is the best motorcycle in the world ever made FOR ME! I don't need stupid electronic aids and hate truck sounding v-twins or v-4s or ...
I have 21,000 km (and counting) on my Z1000R an enjoyed every single km of it! I'd say R version definitely is worth it. The breaking feel on brembo M50 with steel lines and brembo rotors is something that I can never go back. also rear ohlins is really nice to have and if you want to do these upgrades yourself, should pay more!
But this is all me and may not work for others. Like I don't enjoy riding my wife's light weight bike (its a 2018 Triumph Street triple R). It feels too toyish to me! I'd rather FEEL of my Z1000R.
I know exactly what you mean, I have ridden bikes with all the traction control and ride mode "upgrades" but I feel like it just takes a large part of the "soul" away. There's nothing quite like knowing it's wrist to wheel, without a computer asking, "Are we sure?"

I do have to disagree on the twin engines to a point, I still enjoy the rumble of my '07 L-twin Monster That being said, the sound of the Z1000 is incredible - and I've only heard it with the stock cans!
It's definitely reassuring to know that the R version is worth doing. I suppose I just wondered if in practice, it'd make THAT much of a difference. Knowing what it would cost to do these mods to a standard model does make it worthwhile in itself though, as you say. Appreciate the input, thank you very much.
Red89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome