Anyone fitted a p4 rear brembo caliper to a gen 4 - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 02-18-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone fitted a p4 rear brembo caliper to a gen 4

As above peeps...anyone done this. Mines undergoing a wide spread suite of refurbishment (getting alot of stuff cerakoted) and while i was reassembling yesterday i noticed the rear caliper (stripped and cleaned) is pretty crap so i wanted to see if i could get a p4 on there...while i dont think the p4 is a problem i think the rear hanger might/probably will have to be changed....

Away you go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-18-2019, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
My ninja is more "gen 3" , but this will still work for your bike. This "Active" bracket has the mount for the abs sensor, so no problem there. Ive seen a lot of Japanese pics with this rear caliper swap, but none in english.

This is the specific bracket for your bike. Its about 26.00 more than the one I used on my 11-13 bike. No idea what is different, but whatever...odd. No idea what might be different. If you search the site, you will see the 11-13 mount.

https://japan.webike.net/products/21962838.html

From there, you need a caliper. Brembo sells a 32mm piston caliper, or a 34mm caliper. I ended up with both. The 32mm has a harder pedal feel. The 34 is softer, but has more power. I think I like the 32mm version with our stock, rear master cylinder. It 140.00, or so from the webike site. Cheaper if you get it from an American site. Shipping is expensive, to the usa, but fast. I think my order took 4 days.

I'm not totally sure how this might work with an abs system, but the brake is MUCH better than stock, and looks a hell of a lot better, too.

Its damn near impossible to find GOOD, up to date information related to the rear caliper piston size and master cylinder ratios. Im still figuring things out, but so far that 1/2" and 32mm appears to work well. Good feel and smooth power.

I already had an aftermarket rear hose, and it worked, after I twisted the caliper fitting. I wish it were 1/2 inch longer, but its ok, for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181125_104557.jpg (234.8 KB, 18 views)
post #3 of 39 Old 02-19-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow - absolutely brilliant. Theres my next upgrade right there - thanks very much...havent posted recently (been riding through the winter) when the weather gets too bad to ride i semi-strip the bike and get any corroded parts recoated in cerakote (gonna to do the front frame spars next week). To be honest mines a victim of its own success. Its never failed to start, not once in 5 years, its totally reliable, goes like ****, comfortable and easy to throw around. Brilliant. Thanks again for the info...

post #4 of 39 Old 02-20-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just to clarify - this is the exact one for my gen 4??
post #5 of 39 Old 02-21-2019, 07:34 PM

Yes, that link I posted appears to be for the z 1000, 14 to 16. I have no idea why it would be different than I have, but it's an extra 30.00. I'd be afraid to try the one I had due to returns being such a pain. The bracket is a well made, precision piece, so I do trust them as far as fit goes.

I bought my caliper here: Brembo P32 Brake Caliper.

The master cylinder is from a 2008-2010 zx10r. You about have to stay with those years for the 1/2 size as oposed to 14mm. I paid 9.99, on eBay. You could also try our stock 14mm master cylinder we already have on the bike. It worked, but the feel was not quite as nice with the smaller diameter mc. The 14/34 combo felt mushy... ,just what we are trying to get rid of..but was very powerful.

It was horrible to bleed. Seriously, I've bled brakes on the car, truck, atv, motorcycles, etc and never had an issue. This was rough. I finally ended up using an air powered bleeder and it was good within 10 seconds...awesome.

If I were keeping the stock rear master cylinder, it might work better with that p34 size, 34mm piston. I'm giving you the short version of what I tried. That 1/2" master cylinder and 32mm caliper piston is the closest match I could find to what brembo sells. Brembo pretty much sells only 13mm rear master cylinders. So, the closest I could get to that 13mm, without big money, was the 1/2" (12.7mm) on that specific zx10 series.

I hope you do this so we can compare notes. My thought was to dial in the feel, then use brake pads to work with the power level, later on.
post #6 of 39 Old 02-22-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all the info pally - very valuable. I was going to go for a nickel plated p34 to match the HPK's ive got up front...ill get the hanger at the end of this month and then the caliper next (or maybe the month after depending on how the cash goes)

Ill throw up pics when i get the hanger...

Thanks again.
rcannon likes this.
post #7 of 39 Old 02-22-2019, 07:21 PM

Yes, I did not remember your front calipers...yes, you HAVE to do this. For anyone following along, and who knows, there might be 1 or 2 people interested. Heck, this forum is available to everyone in the world, right? I get the feeling few ever upgrade their rear brakes based on the info I was able to find..or lack of info, to be more accurate.

The stock rear caliper is seriously cheap and heavy. It works, but barely. Vesrah pads help, but theres only so much you can do with a 2.00 dollar design. If you look back to the 1990's era streetbikes, you can see this is one area where they saved money on our bikes. The old calipers were much higher quality.

If these calipers were cars, I might have upgraded from Geo Metro up to a Toyota Camry. Comfysofa's HPK calipers are like Ferrari grade, in comparison.

If I were upgrading to that high of a component, theres no way Id be satisfied with my 9.99 2010 zx10 rear master cylinder. I think I would order one of these: https://japan.webike.net/products/22761375.html

12mm piston diameter should match up well with a 32mm rear caliper. When I switched to the Brembo front master cylinder, and I did not even buy an expensive one. Mines a ducati take off...but, its amazing as compared to what our stock master is. I wonder if the upgraded rear master would be as nice?

Last edited by rcannon; 02-23-2019 at 12:41 PM. Reason: just for fun....
post #8 of 39 Old 02-24-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Interesting. Thanks for that link...ill go for one of those in future (the rear master)....as for the front master...not sure if mine (gen4) is the same as yours. Ill change it if theres an improvment but the braking feel ive got is really good, but, i suppose everything can be improved.

And there was me thinking id finished the upgrades..!!

Although - the final upgrade (and the most expensive) would be a set of ohlins forks...
rcannon likes this.
post #9 of 39 Old 02-24-2019, 05:50 PM

There is some good info here: https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...linder-upgrade

I would have followed his advise, but I was not able to find an 11mm master cylinder we could use. The mount spacing was off as compared to what we need.
post #10 of 39 Old 02-25-2019, 11:38 AM

Comfysofa, I know you speak, and write Japanese, so for the love of God, will you please translate this!

I like how some of the words are in english. It taunts me into thinking..."Hey, maybe I can figure this out....." LOL anyway, maybe there is soemthing useful here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page