De-cat 2012 z1000 - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 Old 05-06-2013, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
De-cat 2012 z1000

can anyone help, is there an actual y pipe you can buy for the zed to replace the cat or is it a case of getting one fabricated, also would it be worth doing? is it legal to replace it or would it just be a waste of time. ordered the yoshi r77 slip ons, can header pipes still be used be the slip ons as the company said id need to buy different cans if i wanted to use headers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 AM

Repair made one for his bike. Don't know If he still has it. I'm sure hell chime in before too long.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Project 1 build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 53 Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk View Post
can anyone help, is there an actual y pipe you can buy for the zed to replace the cat or is it a case of getting one fabricated, also would it be worth doing? is it legal to replace it or would it just be a waste of time. ordered the yoshi r77 slip ons, can header pipes still be used be the slip ons as the company said id need to buy different cans if i wanted to use headers.
I don't know the laws in the UK but from what I have seen I would bet that you wouldn't be able to pass a yearly inspection but who knows.

"If we have learned anything from zombies it is that once you have had human flesh you canīt be trusted to stop by the store the next time your hungry." - Repair

post #4 of 53 Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repair View Post
I don't know the laws in the UK but from what I have seen I would bet that you wouldn't be able to pass a yearly inspection but who knows.
This is possible. At least I am considering this risk here Good option would be to buy an aftermarker exhaust/pipes and keep the stock stuff ready to be used if needed...

shadow

- Z1000 2011 ABS Black Edition BATBIKE
Rizoma crash pads & front fork & muffler protectors, matt windshield, tail tidy kit, alu mirrors, 16T FS, Arrow headers
- Intruder VS1400
Vance&Hines, Jet Kit stage 2
post #5 of 53 Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
This is possible. At least I am considering this risk here Good option would be to buy an aftermarker exhaust/pipes and keep the stock stuff ready to be used if needed...

Thats true, if you can do the work yourself you could put the stock exhaust back on once a year to pass the inspection and then put the aftermarket back on the next day....I wouldn't do that because it would be wrong.

"If we have learned anything from zombies it is that once you have had human flesh you canīt be trusted to stop by the store the next time your hungry." - Repair
post #6 of 53 Old 05-06-2013, 12:20 PM

good thing with my state if you buy a new bike you can get it tagged for 5yrs without going through inspection, then after 5 yrs they will mail you a renewal for the next 2 yrs without even bringing the bike in. so technically you can get 7yrs if you buy a new bike/car before it sees a inspection lane.
post #7 of 53 Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012z1000 View Post
good thing with my state if you buy a new bike you can get it tagged for 5yrs without going through inspection, then after 5 yrs they will mail you a renewal for the next 2 yrs without even bringing the bike in. so technically you can get 7yrs if you buy a new bike/car before it sees a inspection lane.

In my state it's even better, we ain't got no stinkin spections.

post #8 of 53 Old 05-06-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

yes but does the cat seperate frome the header pipes so that just a y section fits in? if so then you could just change when you need the mot, iv got another 2 years till my first mot, 5 years is good 7 is even better never is perfect, think the uk are just set on making whatever money they can out of us.
post #9 of 53 Old 05-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk View Post
yes but does the cat seperate frome the header pipes so that just a y section fits in? if so then you could just change when you need the mot, iv got another 2 years till my first mot, 5 years is good 7 is even better never is perfect, think the uk are just set on making whatever money they can out of us.
You have to cut it off of the headpipes.

Here is the one that I built.

the red arrow is where you need to cut to remove the 1st cat and the second is at the front of the underbike muffler.

Here is the jig that I made.

Hope that this helps.

post #10 of 53 Old 05-06-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

yes that does help thanks, looks pretty fiddly to do & your obviously clued up on what your doing, think il leave it for now, il end up making a mess of things ha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page