Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

2018 Z1000R - How do I park this thing?

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  TheDoctor 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, all!

How's that for an attention grabbing subject? :grin:

I just sold my apartment to move in with my girlfriend and made some profit off my home. That combined with some savings means I can finally do it... Thanks to the help I received on the boards, with the profit, I'm buying a 2018 Z1000R.

Well, probably...

I say probably because it depends on one thing and one thing alone... The parking spot. Her apartment does not have a dedicated indoor garage. Only a corridor of storage sheds underneath. To get inside, there's one very narrow door. 800mm to be precise...

I managed to get my Ducati Monster in through that door. That bike measures at 750mm at the widest point (bars).
I have read that the stock width on the Gen 4's is 790mm. I fear that will not work, given the angle of entry.

Now onto my actual questions...

It would be a huge, huge help to me if you guys could tell me:
- Is it in fact 790mm? Is that the tips of the steering weights?
- What bar-end mirrors you have, and on what bars.
- Crucially, I would really like to know what the overall width is on your custom setup, if you have one.

I managed to find the last brand new 2018 Z1KR in the country... And now it I can't believe a narrow door frame is what is standing in my way... Literally.

Thank you so much. :smile:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for your reply!

I am planning to do that, this Saturday in fact. That solves one part of the issue.

I did also want to ask as to what others are running by way of aftermarket (narrower) setups. I need to get the parts in well in advance of picking the bike up. You can imagine my hesitation to park it outside overnight...

I'm also hoping if I drop off the parts, the garage will do me a solid and fit everything for me before I ride it home.

#4 · (Edited)
I don't know if this is helpful to anyone. But on the off chance anyone else has this question, here are the answers. I've worded it to make it easier for others to find via their choice of search engine:

What is the stock width of a Gen 4 Z1000 handlebar, with the mirrors and steering weights removed?
The stock handlebar on the Z1000 is 730mm in width.

What is the approximate bar width when using bar end mirrors on a Gen 4 Z1000?
With bar end mirrors comparable to CRG arrows, the approximate bar width is 770mm. The total wingspan of the bike at the widest point, is then 860mm, with the mirrors angled for use (wide side out).

Disclaimer: I cannot provide any further measurements as this information was provided by someone else.

#7 · (Edited)
When there is a will there is a way. Mine is a 14 and I can get it through an 800mm doorway, but at a straight shot no weird angles to deal with. Of course, I have to wiggle it in for the mirrors.

just went out and measured my bar end weights are 788mm but I cut off the tips, and bored out the ends to make room for anti-vibe inserts.

stock mirrors are 890mm

Easily done. Get the Z you will still be riding it long after your gf throws you out. :D

#8 · (Edited)
Haha! I'll be sleeping outside with the Zed either way by the sounds of things... So if it doesn't fit, why prolong the inevitable? 😄

Thanks for providing the measurements! I really appreciate the effort. That would make it too wide for me, unfortunately. At our place, entry is far from a straight shot. It involves a gnarly brick wall adjacent to a heavy, awkwardly angled door.

However, I have found some bar end mirrors that will bring the bike to a total wingspan of 760mm when they are folded in. I HAVE HOPE!

Next thing to deal with will be the bar vibrations. But I reckon I'll just live with that for a few months, until we're all moved into a place that doesn't involve a tub of vaseline and well wishes in order to park my bike every day.

#10 ·
Get the Z, if it is the last one in your area.

- Remove the bar ends for mirrors, I find, the bar end weights don't really make that much of a difference as far as vibration, I have no issues with mine.
- Shorten the handlebars, you can always find an OEM replacement or aftermarket. Personally, I like the narrow feel, it's not like you need all kinds of leverage to turn the thing.
- Now that you're moved in, you need to convince her that a newer/bigger/better place is needed. Further from work, so you can get more ride time in & preferably with some twisties. ;)

#11 ·
Hey guys. Bit late on closing the loop but I just thought I'd update you all, especially as you were all so kind as to respond to my thread.

So... I bought the Z. (<3) I removed the bar ends and stuck some shorter ones on, as well as replacing the mirrors for a narrower bike over all.

Edging it into the storage area, I got the bars in... Then kept going... Oof, the mufflers blocked entry. Much cursing followed but luckily I realised it wasn't going to fit BEFORE I scraped up the brand new Akra's.

For the short term, this meant I had to take the bike and keep it at my mother's house for 2 weeks.

Anyway, all good now. I rented a garage a 2 minute walk from our place. This has the added benefit of being able to park both bikes in one spot.

Thanks, guys!

#13 · (Edited)

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Obviously I am obsessed with the Z.

Here is my review of their SX1 on the Z along with lots of reviews by others;

Are you riding a Sewing Machine or a MACHINE?

5 Star Review
Posted by Dr. Mark Wakefield on 28th Jan 2020

On a 2014-2016 Z1000, you unleash a Fire Breathing, Earthquake on 2 wheels that rumbles at Stoplights & accelerates like a Jet Plane.

At idle, the deep throated rumble draws attention & compliments to you bike, even with another pipe configuration I had on a Honda CBR500R.

But on the Z1000, its a whole new level of sensory experience, expect people to wind down their windows & want to know more at Stoplights.

And when you arrive at a group of riders, people leave the Panigales & other Exotics walking directly to your bike, it announces your landing to everyone so you don't have to say anything.

This configuration on the Sugomi includes the Headers & allows everything to be tucked away aesthetically, no ugly pipes sticking out to disrupt the lines of the most beautiful Motorcycle ever made & because of this there is no hot surface for you or a passenger to burn yourself upon.

This is my Third IXIL, on my Third Bike since I discovered IXIL. The moment I order a bike, my first call is to Chris* to send me the IXIL Upgrade.

PS. The videos don't do justice to the sensations of standing next to this bike - if you are a Rider, live in Los Angeles & time allowing, connect with me on the Z1000 forum & time allowing, we can meet & you can experience this in person.

*Chris is knowledge, prompt & deliberate - if he says something will come into stock that day or a part will be sent to you, it will be.

Other Reviews:
https://www.ixilusa.com/ixil-super-xtreme-sx1-full-exhaust-kawasaki-z-1000-2010-2017/#.XjSMKlOIbqv

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.