2018 Z1000R - How do I park this thing? - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

4Likes
  • 2 Post By 2Wheels
  • 1 Post By 2Wheels
  • 1 Post By JohnJuan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Exclamation 2018 Z1000R - How do I park this thing?

Hello, all!

How's that for an attention grabbing subject?

I just sold my apartment to move in with my girlfriend and made some profit off my home. That combined with some savings means I can finally do it... Thanks to the help I received on the boards, with the profit, I'm buying a 2018 Z1000R.

Well, probably...

I say probably because it depends on one thing and one thing alone... The parking spot. Her apartment does not have a dedicated indoor garage. Only a corridor of storage sheds underneath. To get inside, there's one very narrow door. 800mm to be precise...

I managed to get my Ducati Monster in through that door. That bike measures at 750mm at the widest point (bars).
I have read that the stock width on the Gen 4's is 790mm. I fear that will not work, given the angle of entry.

Now onto my actual questions...

It would be a huge, huge help to me if you guys could tell me:
- Is it in fact 790mm? Is that the tips of the steering weights?
- What bar-end mirrors you have, and on what bars.
- Crucially, I would really like to know what the overall width is on your custom setup, if you have one.

I managed to find the last brand new 2018 Z1KR in the country... And now it I can't believe a narrow door frame is what is standing in my way... Literally.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by Red89; 06-25-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
If you've already found one you want to buy, bring a measuring tape when you go look at it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply!

I am planning to do that, this Saturday in fact. That solves one part of the issue.

I did also want to ask as to what others are running by way of aftermarket (narrower) setups. I need to get the parts in well in advance of picking the bike up. You can imagine my hesitation to park it outside overnight...

I'm also hoping if I drop off the parts, the garage will do me a solid and fit everything for me before I ride it home.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-27-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

I don't know if this is helpful to anyone. But on the off chance anyone else has this question, here are the answers. I've worded it to make it easier for others to find via their choice of search engine:

What is the stock width of a Gen 4 Z1000 handlebar, with the mirrors and steering weights removed?
The stock handlebar on the Z1000 is 730mm in width.

What is the approximate bar width when using bar end mirrors on a Gen 4 Z1000?
With bar end mirrors comparable to CRG arrows, the approximate bar width is 770mm. The total wingspan of the bike at the widest point, is then 860mm, with the mirrors angled for use (wide side out).

Disclaimer: I cannot provide any further measurements as this information was provided by someone else.

Last edited by Red89; 06-27-2019 at 05:02 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Get the Z and worry about the details later.
JohnJuan and thisisme like this.

Life is short.. better ride fast
post #6 of 10 Old 07-01-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheels View Post
Get the Z and worry about the details later.
I'd agree, if not for the fact that if I can't park the thing indoors, I'm not buying it. Hence my interest in the details.

Last edited by Red89; 07-01-2019 at 09:11 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-01-2019, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
When there is a will there is a way. Mine is a 14 and I can get it through an 800mm doorway, but at a straight shot no weird angles to deal with. Of course, I have to wiggle it in for the mirrors.

just went out and measured my bar end weights are 788mm but I cut off the tips, and bored out the ends to make room for anti-vibe inserts.

stock mirrors are 890mm

Easily done. Get the Z you will still be riding it long after your gf throws you out.
JohnJuan likes this.

Life is short.. better ride fast

Last edited by 2Wheels; 07-01-2019 at 06:21 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-02-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Haha! I'll be sleeping outside with the Zed either way by the sounds of things... So if it doesn't fit, why prolong the inevitable? 😄

Thanks for providing the measurements! I really appreciate the effort. That would make it too wide for me, unfortunately. At our place, entry is far from a straight shot. It involves a gnarly brick wall adjacent to a heavy, awkwardly angled door.

However, I have found some bar end mirrors that will bring the bike to a total wingspan of 760mm when they are folded in. I HAVE HOPE!

Next thing to deal with will be the bar vibrations. But I reckon I'll just live with that for a few months, until we're all moved into a place that doesn't involve a tub of vaseline and well wishes in order to park my bike every day.

Last edited by Red89; 07-02-2019 at 07:24 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-03-2019, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
If it's just for a few months, depending on your use case, get a Z125PRO instead.
TrackAddict225 likes this.

post #10 of 10 Old 07-23-2019, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Get the Z, if it is the last one in your area.

- Remove the bar ends for mirrors, I find, the bar end weights don't really make that much of a difference as far as vibration, I have no issues with mine.
- Shorten the handlebars, you can always find an OEM replacement or aftermarket. Personally, I like the narrow feel, it's not like you need all kinds of leverage to turn the thing.
- Now that you're moved in, you need to convince her that a newer/bigger/better place is needed. Further from work, so you can get more ride time in & preferably with some twisties.

Track

Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions - Tyler Durden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page