5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 05-28-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Two times a noob

Hello all,

I am not only a new owner of a 2003 z1000, but a first time motorcycle owner. I am trying to learn as much as I can so bear with me. After purchasing this new Zed, I explored these forums a bit and discovered that I am very glad with my purchase. It may not be an ideal starter bike, but it is (in my opinion) a generally awesome machine.
My 03 z1000 black and red, and has been down once(right side). It has just a bit over 28k miles on it. I sent it on back to the dealership to have some things addressed with it. It is not stock, and came with an integrated tail, aftermarket levers, as well as what I assume to be LED front turn signals. The exhaust appears to be stock, but gutted perhaps. It is LOUD. I love it.
As far as riding in general goes, I plan on scheduling my MSF basic riding course soon in order to get my endorsement. I have shogun frame-sliders ordered, and have dropped some money on a jacket, helmet, and gloves. My boots arent the best but will have to do. I also am looking to get proper riding pants but am not able to right now. I have downloaded the 03 z1000 owner's manual PDF.
I have gotten into riding because of friends. They are all into super sports, and have been a wealth of information for me to draw from as I need. I intend on learning my machine, and how it differs from theirs in order to best ascertain any differences in technical riding aspects as I begin learning to ride.

Any input for general comfort/quality of life modifications as well as simply practical ones are appreciated. The bike doesnt look so hot right now, due to some cosmetic damage. I don't mind the cosmetic damage so much at the moment. I would also love input on any popular performance mods, although I likely won't be focusing on them much.
I will not complain at any bits of knowledge from you all, and will appreciate it greatly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 05-29-2019, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Grab a service manual from here:

https://www.z1000forum.com/forum/z10...al-hosted.html

I'm a big fan of my cramp-buster throttle wrist rest. - https://www.crampbuster.com/why-crampbuster/

Welcome to the forum! Share a photo of your bike when you get a chance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old 05-29-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
Grab a service manual from here:

https://www.z1000forum.com/forum/z10...al-hosted.html

I'm a big fan of my cramp-buster throttle wrist rest. - https://www.crampbuster.com/why-crampbuster/

Welcome to the forum! Share a photo of your bike when you get a chance!
Interesting. I never really considered one. I appreciate that manual, also. There's a lot for me to learn in there.

post #4 of 37 Old 05-29-2019, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the Z and riding in general. Be careful out there. Most 2wheel wipeouts happen in your 12 oíclock so lookout for the phone blind cagers, and expect the worst in cross traffic. Much of survival on the street is pure luck, but practice your hard braking. It can save your life. Quick downshifts help to keep the rear from locking/sliding and front brake is 75% of your stopping power. Keep your tires, brakes and oil fresh and have fun!

Life is short.. better ride fast
post #5 of 37 Old 05-30-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheels View Post
Welcome to the Z and riding in general. Be careful out there. Most 2wheel wipeouts happen in your 12 o’clock so lookout for the phone blind cagers, and expect the worst in cross traffic. Much of survival on the street is pure luck, but practice your hard braking. It can save your life. Quick downshifts help to keep the rear from locking/sliding and front brake is 75% of your stopping power. Keep your tires, brakes and oil fresh and have fun!
My MSF basic rider course is scheduled for the 14th-16th. I expect the Z back from the shop tomorrow. I have a lot of experience to draw from and intend to utilize it in order to prevent getting dead. I would like to think I am going about this decently. I look forward to getting barend mirrors as well as a more comfy seat depending on how I feel about the stock one over time. I am very excited.
post #6 of 37 Old 05-30-2019, 12:13 PM

Garage
Thatís cool have you ridden dirt or anything before? I found the required ďsafetyĒ course here in TX somewhat of a joke, but I just went along. Instructor was an idiot. We donít have helmet laws here, and be pulled up on his bike(Harley) at the cone course not wearing a helmet. I could have rode circles around this dipsht. Did the hard stop in the box test on their Honda rebel like he probably has never seen.. he said ďumm maybe donít come in so hot next time but thatís good..Ē itís an easy pass I dont think anyone actually fails it. This chick kept stalling it and fell over at least twice that I saw, and she passed. No fkg way she should be on the street but there you go thatís our outsourced system.

post #7 of 37 Old 05-30-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheels View Post
That’s cool have you ridden dirt or anything before? I found the required “safety” course here in TX somewhat of a joke, but I just went along. Instructor was an idiot. We don’t have helmet laws here, and be pulled up on his bike(Harley) at the cone course not wearing a helmet. I could have rode circles around this dipsht. Did the hard stop in the box test on their Honda rebel like he probably has never seen.. he said “umm maybe don’t come in so hot next time but that’s good..” it’s an easy pass I dont think anyone actually fails it. This chick kept stalling it and fell over at least twice that I saw, and she passed. No fkg way she should be on the street but there you go that’s our outsourced system.
I've never ridden dirt. The extent of my riding experience is on the back of a 636 going far too fast. The folks I am going to be riding with ultimately dislike Harleys (putting it lightly). However, due to the known quality instruction at the local Harley dealership's Basic Riding Course, I will be attending classes there, because that is what they have suggested. It is three days, and seems to be pretty thorough. I know that you can fail, also. It is over the course of three days. I intend on dedicating actual time practicing before going full hooligan. I get the bike back tomorrow and starting to learn basics in the neighborhood. It has different types of turns and a giant straight, with low traffic volume. All I've done is get moving by releasing the clutch and applying just a tad of throttle to walk the bike around.
post #8 of 37 Old 05-31-2019, 12:36 AM

Garage
There are some courses given here by the local moonlighting bike cops. I signed my son up for that one when he took his class M at 15. Those guys were top notch professionals. Never seen a full fairing bagger worked with such agility and grace.
Be safe and donít be afraid of it. Fear and respect are two different things, and it sounds like you want to ride, so thatís really all you need. Good luck!
JohnJuan likes this.

post #9 of 37 Old 06-08-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Here's my Zed. I am still waiting on my riding course, but my friend had me doing figure eights and shifting in a large parking lot. Unfortunately he went down hard the other night and is caught up in the local trauma center. I went through the maintainence manual and pieced together the exhaust situation. I believe it is stock and gutted. The muffler caps appear to be riveted back on. As for the pipes...well...its a little obvious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190607_195824_1559963730858.jpg (40.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20190607_200035_1559963743957.jpg (121.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190607_195923_1559963757175.jpg (957.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG9197860091508632296_1559963773430.jpg (367.8 KB, 23 views)
JohnJuan likes this.
post #10 of 37 Old 06-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
My son also has a black red 2003. Love the bike. His has 45k and climbing. Muzzy exhaust etc. Here's what we have found. the stock rear shock is pretty bad. His was almost seized, so ,for now we replaced it with a
a low mile replacement stocker. Apparently they can be revalved. Radiator shrouds are almost impossible to find used. If you have any hand cramps try Grip Puppies. Cheap and they work.
He replaced his Corbin seat for stock. He likes it better. It's been reliable except we've been having some heat related issues. Don't know for sure if we fixed it. Hasn't been hot enough to find out. The bike is a hoot on twisties. it can easily keep up with the sporty guys, in way more comfort. It's just a great all around bike. Enjoy yours.

Mad
2Wheels likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page