Two times a noob - Page 2 - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 06-11-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
My son also has a black red 2003. Love the bike. His has 45k and climbing. Muzzy exhaust etc. Here's what we have found. the stock rear shock is pretty bad. His was almost seized, so ,for now we replaced it with a
a low mile replacement stocker. Apparently they can be revalved. Radiator shrouds are almost impossible to find used. If you have any hand cramps try Grip Puppies. Cheap and they work.
He replaced his Corbin seat for stock. He likes it better. It's been reliable except we've been having some heat related issues. Don't know for sure if we fixed it. Hasn't been hot enough to find out. The bike is a hoot on twisties. it can easily keep up with the sporty guys, in way more comfort. It's just a great all around bike. Enjoy yours.

Mad
I can't wait to get on it after this weekend. I am not sure at all how to go about getting a full exhaust. I can't seem to find them anyway and will likely be asking a very reputable shop in my area. As far as the seat goes, I will be holding off on a new one until I am sure I dislike the stock one. I also intend on waiting to get tank pads. I have decided on getting round Barend mirrors, a phone mount, maybe a radiator guard if it is advised by my friend and mechanic of choice. I am going to be paying attention to the vibrations too. I see many folks complain about them. If they become an issue I will address it. The Puig windscreens are on closeout sale on Revzilla right now, so I ordered one even though I wanted to wait to be sure. I think whoever did the Catdelete on this zed didn't get it tuned after. Its slower than it is supposed to be stock.
Enough of my rambling. I intend on doing some heavy modifications to this in the future as I become more confident as a rider, and can afford to get it tuned right after. I am not opposed to getting the parts now due to availability issues I seem to be seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 06-13-2019, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KratomBoss View Post
It's slower than it is supposed to be stock.

May I ask how you've verified this, and what you're comparing against?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-17-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KratomBoss View Post
It's slower than it is supposed to be stock.

May I ask how you've verified this, and
what you're comparing against?
Sure. People more experienced than I have been unable to get it up to the manufacturer listed top speed. Not the best, I know, but its what I got right now. Let me know if I am mistaken in this. (I very easily could be)

As far as updates go: I completed my basic rider course and just need to get my endorsement on my license. I also ordered some barend mirrors, frame sliders (have had issues with reseller availability), and gel grips after feeling the high frequency vibrations. I also am placing an order for boresnake here soon. I assume this will mitigate the issue greatly. My Puig windsceen has arrived, also. If anyone has input, it will be much appreciated.

Sidenote: This bike is loud. I love it.

post #14 of 24 Old 06-19-2019, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Manufacturers top speed means nothing as does your friend's attempts to match it. Different conditions , different gearing, hell, different continents. Look at the spark plugs. If they are really white you're running lean and should add a Power Commander or have the ECU flashed. For real results, have a shop do a Dyno run. That's the only way to really know what's going on.

Mad
2Wheels likes this.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-19-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
Manufacturers top speed means nothing as does your friend's attempts to match it. Different conditions , different gearing, hell, different continents. Look at the spark plugs. If they are really white you're running lean and should add a Power Commander or have the ECU flashed. For real results, have a shop do a Dyno run. That's the only way to really know what's going on.

Mad
Appreciated. I will likely do it eventually either way.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-20-2019, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
Top speed means nothing unless you are trying to defend it in court.

Life is short.. better ride fast
post #17 of 24 Old 06-22-2019, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheels View Post
Top speed means nothing unless you are trying to defend it in court.
I will remember that 😉
post #18 of 24 Old 07-01-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Update: Gel grips helped a lot. I only feel vibes when I am gripping too hard. Its a nice reminder. Will be habit soon. Nextly, I want some tank pads but will either need to get my dinged up tank fixed, or find an OEM black one. I got the frame sliders and barend mirrors on. CRG lanesplitters with the rhinomoto barend adapter. I see tanks are usually priced somewhere over $1100. Getting the current one fixed would be about half that, but that won't make it look good. Not sure what to do here. My buddy went down on his 06 636, but I doubt I will get a chance to go for his suspension, so that sucks. This bike is such a blast to ride. Mine pops a TON on deceleration. I love it but hope that isnt an issue.
post #19 of 24 Old 07-01-2019, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
Pull in the clutch and coast. Unless you like the pops. Personally it drives me nuts on my motard. My Z just rumbles softly, like how I would imagine a sleeping panther. it is awesem

Life is short.. better ride fast
post #20 of 24 Old 07-01-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheels View Post
Pull in the clutch and coast. Unless you like the pops. Personally it drives me nuts on my motard. My Z just rumbles softly, like how I would imagine a sleeping panther. it is awesem
Oh I love the pops. I need to have one of my buddies let me know if I got any quad pipe flame action going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page