What a bike to come back on !! - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

7Likes
  • 1 Post By encee
  • 3 Post By JohnJuan
  • 2 Post By TrackAddict225
  • 1 Post By Trebor4460

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-21-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What a bike to come back on !!

Hi all,

First post on here (hence the introduction) !
I`m just coming back to biking after a 7 year break, and I`ve just bought myself a 2016 Z1000...

We all know that biking is never out of your blood, and my interest was completely re-ignited by some friends we had over for Christmas lunch, where we ended up talking bikes for most of the afternoon, as they`re both bikers also (wife was made-up with that one, I can tell you ! )

Anyway, with the seed sown, I started to look around again. Almost every bike I`ve ever owned in the past has been a Sportsbike, but these days, the old aching bones will no longer accommadate a Sportsbike riding position, so I decided I wanted a Super-naked instead.

I didn`t really want to spend Tuono V4/Superduke R money, so I was thinking more about a Yamaha MT10, a Triumph Speed Triple R, or a Suzuki GSX-S. Yes, I`d thought briefly about the Z1000, but they were considered "old money", along with a CB1000R, and off the pace, weren`t they ? I was to find out quickly that you shouldn`t believe everything you read, and see on Youtube...!

About 3 weeks ago I test-rode an MT10 from my local Yamaha dealer. Now I don`t know whether it was because I was so rusty on a bike, or the cold, but I just didn`t enjoy it. The bike somehow felt "tall" to me (I`m a short-arse 5`9), and I just didn`t gel with it, returning it to the dealership disappointed.

A week on, and with the weather (marginally) better - dry but damp - I took out the GSX-S first. Great bike, undoubtedly, quick enough for me these days, and comfortable no doubt, but it just didn`t have what I was looking for somehow.

Next up was the Kawasaki Z1000. As soon as I sat on it, and lifted it up off the side-stand, I expected it not to be for me, as it immediately felt quite a bit heavier than the "Gixes". Bloody hell then, once on the move, where did all that weight suddenly go to ?? Oh, that`s right, it was all carried low-down, with the bike swinging from side to side above, like an inverted pendulum - BRILLIANT trick with weight-distribution Kawasaki.
To be honest, I think I`d only done half a mile, and I already knew the Zed thou was the one for me. I loved the power, (no jerky throttle-response like the Suzuki), loved the handling, and loved the riding position. This also had a pair of lovely Arrow cans fitted by the previous owner, and it sounds fantastic. In short, I just loved everything about the bike - it`s absolutely excellent !!

I was out quite a while on the Kwak, only returning when I felt I had to.
I already knew I`d be having it, but though it would be foolish not to ride the Triumph Speed Triple R, seeing as the dealer had it ready for me. To be honest, I only went round the block on it, as it just didn`t feel right after the Zed - riding position was canted too far forward, and it felt heavy compared to the Kwak. To be honest, the last owner hadn`t done it much of a favour, fitting shorty levers on it, as the already-heavy clutch was a nightmare, giving me an arm-pump like Mike Tyson by the time I brought it back.

As it stands then, I now have myself a beautiful Zed 1000, and I`m totally over the moon with it !

Apologies for the mega-intro, if you`re still awake, but I can`t help waxing lyrical about this bike.....cheers.
PIERCE likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-25-2019, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome. Here's hoping you continue loving it like you did on the test ride.

My first ride on my Z was taking it home from the dealer in 30 degree F weather in inadequate clothes. My knees were totally numb. Next day was warmer and I went for a short ride with my dad.
Koggs, Soldieringon and encee like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-02-2019, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I agree Encee, coming back from a 20 year miserable hiatus. Had a bike wreck several years ago, that should have killed me. Tried to fill the void of not riding with jet skis, race cars, etc. Nothing compares to the feeling of leaning that bike over in a corner & grabbing a handful of squirt. People that don't ride will never understand, most just shake their heads when they find out I'm riding again. It's in my blood...

Track
Koggs and TheDoctor like this.

Last edited by TrackAddict225; 03-02-2019 at 02:18 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-01-2020, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome Encee, Your test ride sounds like mine - I knew the bike was what I had always dreamt of but didnt have a name for & it's just the simplest letter in the Dictionary, "Z".

I too have returned to riding after 19 months ago off following a bad accident with a drunk driver. This time after years of other on the job injuries I decided at 57 along with other critical areas damaged that my riding days were finished.

But just before I had the accident, an unexpected test ride of a used 2014 Z1000 left me wanting more & on a whim on my birthday I starting shopping for a low mile used 2016 which is being delivered to me with just 900 miles on the odometer - a miracle find.

If you want some ideas on modifications, I bought the bike for $7500 (Blue Book is $10,600), but already have in the garage over $4000 in excellent upgrades ready to add which I am going to list in a few days.

There is nothing like 2016 Z, NOTHING!

If it wasnt for the Z, I would never buy another bike.

ENJOY MATE!

Last edited by TheDoctor; 02-01-2020 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Improve
post #5 of 8 Old 02-04-2020, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
welcome Buddy, the z defo has everything and is very custimizable if you want to go down that route.. lovley tourqey motor and more than enough top end to get you jailed..
have fun
TheDoctor likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-06-2020, 05:52 PM

Perfectly stated ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackAddict225 View Post
I agree Encee, coming back from a 20 year miserable hiatus. Had a bike wreck several years ago, that should have killed me. Tried to fill the void of not riding with jet skis, race cars, etc. Nothing compares to the feeling of leaning that bike over in a corner & grabbing a handful of squirt. People that don't ride will never understand, most just shake their heads when they find out I'm riding again. It's in my blood...

Track
Perfectly stated!

It's an Emotional Calling & most people today (or 98%), of people have lost their ability to feel anything let alone euphoria of riding such a Motorcycle as the Z1000 ...

Last edited by TheDoctor; 02-08-2020 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Improve
post #7 of 8 Old 02-06-2020, 05:53 PM

Perfectly stated ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackAddict225 View Post

Track
Perfectly stated Mate!

Last edited by TheDoctor; 02-09-2020 at 03:42 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by encee View Post
Hi all, .... once on the move, where did all that weight suddenly go to ?? ... - BRILLIANT ... To be honest, I think I`d only done half a mile, and I already knew the Zed thou was the one for me.
YES! I owned a Buell X1 long before the Zed and that short wheelbase was a blast to ride. As soon as the Z was rolling, it reminded me of the Buell's short wheelbase fun, with a lot more umph! Speaking of umph, owned a Triumph too -sold it to buy the Z and never looked back.

_____
bone stock. sorta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page