• 1 Post By 2Wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-06-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Gen 4 seat foam

OK the first time I did this I really didn’t know what to expect. I was a bit hasty in construction in formation of the implant. It worked so well that I knew I had to refine it in order for it to be permanent. The taper on the pad itself was somewhat abrupt, and was a noticeable “step” upward, and I knew I could do better. I had a few inquiries as to the specific method I used, and thought if I re did it I would post a bit of tutorial as to how I did it, just in case someone else may want to give it a try. Also, the memory foam I used was a pad I had laying around, and wanted to get an off the shelf solution.
Here’s how it went

Pad, blades and staples $10~

Staple removal tool

Taper on pad 1. It’s a bit tricky but with sharp blades it’s best to go slow anyway.

Doesn’t have to be perfect, I put it on upside down

I put mine to about here, I didn’t want to raise the seat height at the tank, but I probably could have gone a little more forward with it.

I left the front stapled on

Did the same with pad 2. You could use a single pad and make it easier but this is the best thing they had. I staggered it back a bit

Took the edge off to give it some slope

Stacked and staggered

Tuck it in and peel the cover back

Stopped at the seam and poked a coat hanger through the hole to grab. I shaved down the excess and added a small triangle to the top just to keep the form behind the belt.

I used jacketed copper wire

Staples. The seat pan is pretty tough but I got
enough of them to stick.

May refine once more if I can find the perfect foam piece. This stuff is a bit cheaper than the memory foam I had, but initial 100 mi test is positive.

Maybe this will help someone to see how easy it is to do, and get a few more miles out of their Z.
Love this thing!

JohnJuan and Leesz1000r like this.

Life is short.. better ride fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok the verdict is in, cheap foam sucks dont buy cheap foam. I had a feeling about that hobby foam sht but I figured Id give it a try. Swing and a miss.
I went to the custom cycle shop, who sent me to the hot rod shop, who sent me to the guy who does his upholstery. We poked around his foam remnant collection until I found one with the right thickness and density, so I could use a single piece. So much for the off the shelf solution.
He let me have it for $10

This time I went a little closer to the tank, and had a stronger taper than I have pictured here. I kept shaving it down until I was happy with it. I took the tailpiece down to nothing. It was a bit tougher to wrap the cover due to the compression resistance not present in the cheap stuff.

Only updating lest anyone think the cheap foam is a solution. Method is the same, materials may vary.
Leesz1000r likes this.

Last edited by 2Wheels; 06-08-2019 at 10:05 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-10-2019, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Looks good, been thinking about doing that myself. The 3rd Gen OEM foam isn't the best either. Definitely feel your pain after a couple of hours. Several manufacturers are making gel seat pads, a bit more pricey through.

Track

Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions - Tyler Durden

post #4 of 4 Old 06-10-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
100% recommend doing or have done. Honestly the best reason is, it took most of the rough ride feeling out of the roads. I used to press on the pegs every time I saw a transition, or what even looked like a rough patch. I may be more sensitive than most to this as I have some Ti screws and rods in my lower back. I have now scrapped the plans to replace the shock due to the harshness. Did not bother me at all.
Leesz1000r likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page