Gen4 (14+) Z1000 Stock Exhaust Moded - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-30-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gen4 (14+) Z1000 Stock Exhaust Moded

This is for anyone that is wondering if you can make your stock exhaust louder and look cooler. Yes it's possible if you have time (winter time) and some skills with (grinding and welding) well, at least its the way I did it. Ah, and made tip little bit bigger in size (grinded the inside of the tip until the size I like)

Pictures tell it all, just if anyone is curious.

Why I did it: LOVE the stock look and didn't want to waste any money, and had nothing else to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014+ Stock Exhaust.jpg (97.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2014+ Stock Exhaust Moded.jpg (88.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190312_172853.jpg (70.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190312_172915.jpg (71.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190312_172702.jpg (141.2 KB, 18 views)

2016 Z1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-31-2019, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
That's really good if you like the stock looks but I'd say couple it with arrow headers to get the performance...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 04-05-2019, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looks very good! How is the sound? Any video? Is it louder than Vance and Hines?
If you could describe your job step by step, that would be really awesome!
I just bought spare mufflers exactly for this project, but I don't know how to weld and when I brought them to the custom shop, they told me that it's impossible to do it.
Then I found this post and I wanna know more details so I can go back there and say "Hey, it's possible, here is how"

post #4 of 9 Old 04-11-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletshade View Post
Looks very good! How is the sound? Any video? Is it louder than Vance and Hines?
If you could describe your job step by step, that would be really awesome!
I just bought spare mufflers exactly for this project, but I don't know how to weld and when I brought them to the custom shop, they told me that it's impossible to do it.
Then I found this post and I wanna know more details so I can go back there and say "Hey, it's possible, here is how"
Yes, sounds more than stock. No, not as loud as Vance and Hines. I would say, somewhere in between. I don't want it to sound too loud, because it gets annoying after long ride and don't want to have the drone at certain RPM, but it's loud enough that people hear me. However, I could have made it louder, as the whole muffler is wrapped with fiberglass on the inside, which I left it alone.

No shop will do this, because of the design of muffler, as you may have seen from the pictures I posted on how the muffler works. I had to completely cut 2 pipes from the inside, you can't really poke a whole like in most. This thing is welded shut, unless you have grinding and welding skills. I say welding skill because the sheet metal is very thin, so you will have to be very careful on welding it back, otherwise you will make holes you don't want.

If you still want instructions posted, let me know. I'll try to do it.

2016 Z1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-12-2019, 10:53 AM

Awesome! That's what I'm looking for.
I'm from Canada, Montreal. So this year police have a new law about motorcycle exhausts. We can change the exhaust system or slip ons but it has to be 100db or lower.
I found that Vance and Hines are about 101-103db so I can't really install it. But your method looks very nice to me and I would like to do the same.
So yeah, if it's possible to get full instructions that would be very very helpfull
And maybe if we could get a short video with a sound?
post #6 of 9 Old 04-12-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Awesome! That's what I'm looking for.
I'm from Canada, Montreal. So this year police have a new law about motorcycle exhausts. We can change the exhaust system or slip ons but it has to be 100db or lower.
I found that Vance and Hines are about 101-103db so I can't really install it. But your method looks very nice to me and I would like to do the same.
So yeah, if it's possible to get full instructions that would be very very helpfull
And maybe if we could get a short video with a sound?

Yeah, I don't think it goes above 100db, unless you red line it. I would say close to 90db if anything.

ok, give me 2-3 days and I'll post sound and instruction. I will post instructions as pictures, it will be much easier, as I did the original post.

Meanwhile, enjoy this quickshifter action. Mic is in the Helmet, so imagine how it sounds outside with no helmet. I will post more videos with cold start and normal.

2016 Z1000

post #7 of 9 Old 04-12-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Here is sound video. That was a COLD start as well. It does sound a tab louder in person than in video. maybe 10db more. I will post instructions when I can.

2016 Z1000

post #8 of 9 Old 04-12-2019, 05:17 PM

The sound is amazing. Not loud but feels like it's something powerful. For sure for long rides it will be just fine. I love it.
Waiting for instructions ))
Amazing job)
post #9 of 9 Old 04-13-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The sound is amazing. Not loud but feels like it's something powerful. For sure for long rides it will be just fine. I love it.
Waiting for instructions ))
Amazing job)
Ok, I made it as simple as I can. Remember take your time and be a little patient. Let me know if anything.

Ah, one last thing, once you welded everything together, mask it a little bit and paint it with high temp paint, like I did, otherwise it will rust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steps 1-2.jpg (243.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Steps 3-4.jpg (270.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Steps 5-Final.jpg (316.9 KB, 3 views)

2016 Z1000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in