z1000 Gen 4 Knightrider mod. (New Thread, new design) - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 07-10-2017, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
z1000 Gen 4 Knightrider mod. (New Thread, new design)

As above....

Like all the rest of you i saw the knightrider mod last year....everyone was asking for it (me included) - im not one for bling but i liked that as it was integrated into the bike.....

About 6 months ago my brother came over to my house and i was watching the vid that got put up on You Tube and showed my brother and when i told him what it was and what it did he looked at it for a minute and then said...."i could do that, and do it better...." - he's an extremely clever electrical engineer/designed that also does firmware programming...but, he's always snowed under with work and said "when ive got some free time ill see what i can do...." Ive left it for a while in the hope that he would go into manufacture but no....

And, here we are, i havent said anything til i had something tangible to show (but not quite yet....)

He's just sent me a text which, had in turn, made me think...now's as good a time as any....

So, very soon ill have a working prototype....here's the specs....

Knightrider mod.
1. 7strips of 3 different coloured LED's (atm we're going for white, green and blue) im in the uk and RED over here is illegal to use at the front of a vehicle.
2. Strobe effect with speed, left to right, right to left, flash and colour change.
3. Bluetooth operation: The light will be controlled from your app on either IOS or android. (He has an iphone himself so is concentrating on that first)
4. Option to boot up with solid white light or last set, setting.

I was over his house yesterday and he showed me his working variboard with 3 LED's (but he did say the addition of more leds and strips is quite simple as the variboard proves the concept. The text he sent me this morning was that he's got 5 strobing now and extra 2 will be incorporated into the final design (the phrase he used was "these can be added when the board goes to be tracked")

I stopped short of taking some video yesterday as he only had 3 working and strobing once (controlled from his phone) - i thought id hang on til he something better to show....

The final question is, is anyone still interested? i could just make a couple, keep a spare for myself and leave it at that, or, as my brother does this stuff for a living, and does this type of work for various companies make more. Also, the stuff with regards to the control is totally open in that, what ive stated is what i think everyone wants but, if anyone has any more programming suggestions this can be programmed in before manufacture. Im open to suggestions...

What do you all think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 07-10-2017, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Haven't seen Ash on here in a long time but he was very interested when Kobi had his built by a friend. Should be more interest as others asked also. Won't do me any good with my antique. But I'm sure it will get the newer crowd going. If it works from your phone then Half the population will want one even without a bike!!!! Lol!!
post #3 of 60 Old 07-10-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Heh...well it was more for covienience....hes doing more programming tonight. Doing a power up and led cycle routine and also a talk back so when you enter a command then the unit will send an "Ok" back to the phone.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

post #4 of 60 Old 07-12-2017, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Brother has just sent me some vids of the variboard flashing in sequence....he didnt show the phone but the phone wirelessly is kicking off the strobe....he thinks a couple of weeks and will have the finished board to go inside the city light but while that is happening he can carry on with programming the pic which controls the lighting...

https://youtu.be/2Vu080W_Chc
post #5 of 60 Old 09-13-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just in case im guessing most of you are expecting a thread which consists purely of vapourware its not the case. From a business and manufacturing point of view we're small fry so usually end up at the end of the pecking order...got the boards back from manufacture.....tried to upload the pics earlier on from my phone but tapatalk wouldnt play ball. We'll be building 5 boards each with different LED arrangements (colour mixes) - theyre going off to be populated in the next few days....then its down to software programming to get the app on a phone/os ie android and apple ios. The smaller board is the brains. This houses the bluetooth unit and the hardware that deals with the power. The idea is youll take out the guts of your standard light and use the connector to solder to the new board making the whole unit look, as if it were stock. Apologies for the knife and fork disection of the light...that was me....didnt have access to a dremel to cut the front lens off.....about a few more weeks and should have something flashing...!

Last edited by comfysofa; 09-13-2017 at 10:43 AM.
post #6 of 60 Old 09-13-2017, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I would be very interested!!! My bike is green I've always thought it would be cool to have a green LED or the whole strip light up or control by phone wtf that'd be awesome.
post #7 of 60 Old 09-13-2017, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
This would be pretty neat, just wondering how high the price tag will be for this mod?
post #8 of 60 Old 09-14-2017, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
At the moment the price is going to be 200GBP. Theres a fair bit of hardware in there, and because its very small scale manufacturing costs are much higher as im not having 2000 made at once!, plus (and so he keeps reminding me) a massive amount of time programming the firmware that my brother is doing. If its too much for people to swallow then ill just stick at the 5 we've made and put one on my own bike. You could go cheaper and do away with the bluetooth unit but that means the whole setup becomes more clunkier (wires running from the front of the bike to the back, additional boxes to slow down and speed up the strobe etc etc). I spoke to him last night about it. He's taking the boards and components to be put together today, he's going to get one initially made and keep it at his house for testing the code. Android version will come first (he's more at home programming for that) IOS version will be later (im guessing about a month or 2). He's only going to get one made 2 test that the boards have been manufactured correctly (theyve been tested at the plant where theyre made to make sure nothing is bridging) but the final test is with the components on there. Hopefully, as i say a video of something working by the end of the month.
post #9 of 60 Old 09-14-2017, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Will the entire strip be able to light up with a solid color? I'm not a big fan of the back and forth LED
post #10 of 60 Old 09-15-2017, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes - thats the plan. As we're using software to control the LED's the sky is the limit. White will be the base colour on the light (as i want the light to act and look as if it were stock). As you can see there are 3 rows of led's - we're not sure on the power drain yet as the first unit is not built - depending on that will depend on if we use 2 or 3 rows of LED's. We are going to try bi and tri coloured led's also and see if we can use software to get more colours from it....TBH we're not sure how its going to look until the first one is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page