Have I bought the wrong handle bars? - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-29-2016, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have I bought the wrong handle bars?

Hi all

I have only had my z1000 2016 for a week and noticed the Arse numing seat after the first day I then read on here that changing the bars resolves it more than swapping out the seat. So I visited a local shop and bought the ultra low renthals but what I didn't but was the fat bar and now I'm looking at the originals I don't think the centre clamp will tighten the ones I got as the oe bars are much thicker in diameter. So can someone just confirm what bars are the best to fit for the ride position to take the strain of your *** thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-29-2016, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
You probaby bought 7/8" size bars. Thats the size Japanese bikes have used for many years.

However, during the early 90's, a company called Answer Racing introduced an "un-bendabel Pro Taper" The new oversize bar was 1 1/8" diameter where it went to the clamps, then tapered to the normal 7/8" where the grips are.

The bar was so strong, the crossbar could be eliminated. It was expensive to make the change since one needed new clamps for this increased size. However, it was likely the last set of bars you would buy.

The bar was made from Easton aluminum ea70. Tapered in such a way to reduce vibration.

Over time, this oversized bar made it to streetbikes, and thats what you have here.

You need the 1/ 1/8 clamp mount sized bar. There are all kinds of bends made in this size.

Likely, you'll have a choice of a bar thats priced lower, and one thats 30.00 more in the same bend. For sure, gt the expensive one. The expensive series uses a tapered internal structure and is much more forgiving of vibration. The cheaper bar is made of non tapered tubing, is more still, and has a semi-lousy feel as compared to the high dollar one.

You did not ask, but a good way to figure out what bend you need is to put your bike on a rear stand,

Carefully climb on the bike, and get your body position correct.

Now, remove your hands from the bars.

Close your eyes, and put your hands where youd like the bars to be. open eyes.

Thats the bend you want.

I say this because there are hundreds of bends available, and doing this might keep you from buying the wrong one.

I always liked the KTM bend because it kept my wrists at the perfect angle, for me...
Rhyno54 likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-29-2016, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Pro taper carmichael bend is another good handlebar
rcannon likes this.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-01-2016, 01:16 PM

Rhyno, you know what always surprised me about bar bends?

I believe Renthal has, well, look at the list for the fatbar. I doubt most shops stock all 19 bends. What bend was it I liked? LOL

Renthal - Fatbar®
post #5 of 14 Old 10-03-2016, 09:08 PM

Lol? rcannon since you and I are both this forum and the GSXS forum, do you have a Z1000 as well as a GSXS to? the Renthal Street Low fatbar and the Pro Taper Contour series Carmichael bend are both nice handlebars, I think the GSXS runs the Renthal street low if i'm not mistaken
post #6 of 14 Old 10-04-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno54 View Post
Lol? rcannon since you and I are both this forum and the GSXS forum, do you have a Z1000 as well as a GSXS to? the Renthal Street Low fatbar and the Pro Taper Contour series Carmichael bend are both nice handlebars, I think the GSXS runs the Renthal street low if i'm not mistaken

No suzuki..yet.....yet. I hope I can, soon. Me want one very badly!
Rhyno54 likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-04-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've ordered the fat bar renthals street low so should be here this week then I can see if it makes any difference to the seating arrangement
post #8 of 14 Old 10-04-2016, 08:02 PM

howe130786 please let us know about the new handlebars and how they differ from the stock handlebars.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-04-2016, 08:03 PM

racannon do you own a Z1000?
post #10 of 14 Old 10-07-2016, 09:39 AM

No z 1000, I have the ninja.

I like the people here, and the z 1000. I came so close to buying the z when I bought my bike. If they had a green z, in stock, Im sure that would have been my choice.

My ninja is similar to a z, anyway. With so many similarities, especially back in 2012.

When I switched my rubber mounted pegs to the z's solid mounts, that was pretty significant in its transformation, and back then, one of the few differences.

By the time you factor in upgraded suspension, exhaust, reflash, upgraded brakes, lithum battery, etc, my ninja is pretty much in z configuration with a large fairing.

I think the z might be the better bike. It would have been, for sure, if i lived in a warmer climate. I think I have better wind protection, maybe.....maybe...

I do have access to a 2010 z, and have ridden it a lot. I think it handles better than my stock ninja did. That missing weight, up front, is a big deal.

Last edited by rcannon; 10-07-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page