Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

Rough Shifting

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rules 
#1 ·
Hi All

I noticed a week or so back that the Z was starting to shift a little rougher than before and thought it might be because it was service time. Did a oil change Monday and although it feels ever so slightly better, it still feels "rough". I tightened the clutch cable a bit as well, which improves things but then the clutch tends to slip when I nail it. Is it time to replace the clutch? Friction plates only?

Thanks,
R

#2 ·
You must have a bit of slack in the clutch cable. If you do and the clutch is slipping then it's shot. I found my bike starts to shift like crap when the oil is worn out.
I use full synthetic. Used to use Motul300V but super expensive. Now I use Rotella T6 very happy with it.

Mad

#3 ·
Sometimes it's the super obvious things that elude us 🙈 ... I was having a look at the position of the gear change pedal/lever and realized the linkage was super "sticky", probably due to all the rainy days I have been riding the last few weeks 🙄 After a good helping of Q20 it's all good again.

I had heard about the bad shifting once it's in need of an oil change which is why I assumed the service I did would make it better so was getting a tad worried when it didn't do much. Me messing with the clutch cable was just a really bad call.

Saw the 300V was super expensive and luckily found some Castrol Power1 fully synthetic at a local shop for a lot less.

Reactions: rcannon
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.