Question about different generations of Z1000 - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

7Likes
  • 4 Post By 2Wheels
  • 1 Post By rcannon
  • 2 Post By kookinen

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-15-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Question about different generations of Z1000

New member, new bike [to me that is]
Have been reading a few posts and see that you all talk about different generations of the Z1000. I have recently purchased a Z1000 and the compliance plate is stamped as Nov 2013. What generation is this model? The guy who sold it to me advertized it as a 2014 model and argued the fact that it was that close to end of the year, that the shop sold it to him as the 2014 new model, back then. When I order parts, do I describe my bike as a 2014 model? Does anyone out there no, when the shapes/colour schemes etc changed around this particular model I have? For example, can I by second hand parts from perhaps a 2016 upwards model and visa versa for earlier models and those parts will fit my bike. Any info would be gratefully appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-16-2019, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
Where are you from? I know here in the states we have titles with corresponding vin numbers.
I am not familiar wit a compliance plate.

If it looks (awesome) like this it is a 2014+

rcannon, racer, Leesz1000r and 1 others like this.

Life is short.. better ride fast
post #3 of 6 Old 06-16-2019, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
I am in Australia. Down here we have 'compliance plates' that are pop riveted to the frame, up near the steering head/bars. On that plate, the date of manufacture is stamped as being Nov 2013. Vin # is JKAZRCG15EA000245. Looking at some posts, I am seeing a trend of year models being 2010 to 2013 and then 2014 to 2018, as to two distinct generations. What I want to know is, what is the cut off date for that transition between the 13 and 14 models and more so is mine classed as a 2014 model for buying parts etc? I am tending to think it is 'classed' as a 2014 because that photo you posted is the exact colour scheme of my bike.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-17-2019, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
You dont need to get very technical with this one. The bodywork changed for 2014. So if yours looks like the picture its a 2014. The 2013 was available in different colors, obviously but the 2010-2013 bodywork looked like this.

I know my bike is a 2012 but its build date was 9-2011. The actual build date does not mean much with regards to the specific "model " year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-Kawasaki-Z1000b.jpg (162.1 KB, 5 views)
twoeasy likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-17-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
That makes sense. Looking at the two photos and body work, then mine is definitely the 2014 model. Now my next question is, for the sake of ordering parts etc, what years did this model run for? I take it, it is a generation 4 model, is there a generation 5 model out yet?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Most car and bike manufacturers start their production runs of the next model year around Sept. So build dates of Oct, Nov and Dec 2013 are referred to as MY14, and thus all parts for "2014" model should fit. There may be some exceptions of course, but generally this is the case.
2Wheels and twoeasy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page