Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

Question about different generations of Z1000

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kookinen 
#1 ·
New member, new bike [to me that is]
Have been reading a few posts and see that you all talk about different generations of the Z1000. I have recently purchased a Z1000 and the compliance plate is stamped as Nov 2013. What generation is this model? The guy who sold it to me advertized it as a 2014 model and argued the fact that it was that close to end of the year, that the shop sold it to him as the 2014 new model, back then. When I order parts, do I describe my bike as a 2014 model? Does anyone out there no, when the shapes/colour schemes etc changed around this particular model I have? For example, can I by second hand parts from perhaps a 2016 upwards model and visa versa for earlier models and those parts will fit my bike. Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I am in Australia. Down here we have 'compliance plates' that are pop riveted to the frame, up near the steering head/bars. On that plate, the date of manufacture is stamped as being Nov 2013. Vin # is JKAZRCG15EA000245. Looking at some posts, I am seeing a trend of year models being 2010 to 2013 and then 2014 to 2018, as to two distinct generations. What I want to know is, what is the cut off date for that transition between the 13 and 14 models and more so is mine classed as a 2014 model for buying parts etc? I am tending to think it is 'classed' as a 2014 because that photo you posted is the exact colour scheme of my bike.

#4 ·
You dont need to get very technical with this one. The bodywork changed for 2014. So if yours looks like the picture its a 2014. The 2013 was available in different colors, obviously but the 2010-2013 bodywork looked like this.

I know my bike is a 2012 but its build date was 9-2011. The actual build date does not mean much with regards to the specific "model " year.

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply.
That makes sense. Looking at the two photos and body work, then mine is definitely the 2014 model. Now my next question is, for the sake of ordering parts etc, what years did this model run for? I take it, it is a generation 4 model, is there a generation 5 model out yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.