Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

quik shifter kawasaki Z1000 --->2020

16K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  rcannon 
#1 ·
Hello

I live in Norway

Do someone have a answer way kawasaki don`t deliver quikshifter (up and down) on new Z1000 bikes? i will wait and buy the new 2020 Model when available.
Due to the new fee regulations Norway that make the Z1000 1300- 2000 Euro cheaper
Are quikshifter bad for gearbox?

#6 ·
The reason the Z1000 has no down blipper is because of the manual (cable operated) throttle instead of electronic. Downblipper requires ride-by-wire throttle so that the computer can open the throttle body to increase RPM's for downshift, with cable throttle it cannot do that. Same goes for traction control, the ignition system is too old to integrate. The electronics on the current Z1000 are still essentially the exact same as those on the 2010 model year bike, and without a modern ECU and electronic throttle, none of these features are possible.

I would imagine that at this year's EICMA we will see a new 2020 Z1000 as the current model is over 5 years old (10 years techincally because the 4th gen is same as 3rd gen), and I would find it hard to believe that it would use manual throttle still, even if it uses the same engine as before.

#7 ·
Z1000 are no that desirable and they are not actual sport bikes, therefore quickshifter is not offered. If you look at ZX10, they have it from factory. No, quickshifters are not bad for the bike, I have HQ quickshifter on my 2016 Z1000 and it's fine, no issues, downside is that it's ONLY up-shifts, no auto-blip or downshifts.

I have to say this tho, every year more and more manufacturers putting quickshifters on the bikes now, it's same as paddle shifters on the car, you see them more now.

#9 ·
I love my z1000 the way it is! If it comes with 10 different riding modes, I know I will put it in "sport" and not touch it. ever! You enter a corner too fast, no TC can save you. So more fancy electronics will do nothing but making bike unreliable and risky for long trips! Its just me. I am coming from dirt bikes. people are different.

#16 · (Edited)
This is great information-my 2016 with only 900 miles is about to arrive any day now-fingers crossed the guy is selling it for reasons other than bad 4th gear.

Checking with Google the 2016 is a 4th Generation - was this an issue with every unit made or just some of them?

I never met the guy or the bike but by phone & email - he is Japanese & just 5.7 - he said he was selling the bike simply because it was too powerful & uncomfortable for him - when I saw that he had a Butt Donut on the seat I thought this is a great deal.

Is there a consensus yet on who makes the best quickshifter & does that eliminate the issue?

Attachments

#17 ·
This is the first I've heard of 4th gear issues. I wonder if the N1K's of the same year have this issue? ---Maybe RC Cannon can add to this thread?
___
Personally, I don't need a QS. Having said that, I've never owned a bike with a QS. Unqualified to comment, I know :) ... but I don't mind pulling in the clutch :D

luv my fatty 3rd gen.

#19 ·
Antic, you are both correct. There are 2 sets of throttle blades. Primary we control with the throttle. Secondairy is controlled by the ecu. A ride by wire is similar, except both sets are ecu controlled.

If you look back through this forum, as well as the ninja 1000 forum, there have been people with transmission issues. It's usually 4th gear, and it's usually after a quickshifter has been fitted.

No idea if they were adjusted correctly, or used correctly.

#20 ·
I noticed at start that shifting to 4th gear need good, focused and correct work with shift lever. I had at start 5-10 bad shifting on 4th hear, after my previous bike.
But then I got used.
As I see from internet, our gearbox have problems with 4th gearbox sprocket usually,
not 100% depend on quickshifter.
It's a pity, I'm upset a lot....
Fucking Japanese quality...

If anyone know alternative tuning sprocket - welcome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.