Exhaust mod - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-14-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exhaust mod

I need advice..... I've got a 2017 z1000r,with Austin racing cans,with delkavic headers,I haven't got the money yet for a while for an ECU flash. A)do I need to fit a k&n air filter and B)will I do any damage to my bike runing it as is,I've taken the baffle out,would it benefit me to run it with baffles in.... I appreciate any advice given... Thank u...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-14-2019, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
You'll be OK but don't cane it..! Ran mine for 3 months. But i did remove the pair system too...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

What about fiting a k&n Ido I need 1 & would I need to change spark plugs.... I'm skint!!! Lol paying for my header pipes,but I needed them, onist....

post #4 of 11 Old 05-14-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

And I don't know anything about pair system,what is that,I'm not the brightest person by a long shot,still listening,and always trying to learn....
post #5 of 11 Old 05-14-2019, 02:48 PM

Garage
First and foremost - there are no stupid questions.... Im guessing with a full system its gonna be popping and banging alot....thats cos the pair system (the fresh air system) that adds air into the exhaust for emissions....i call it the pair system - lots of bikes have it - my RSV4 has it also (and also removed)

Theres a cheap and cheerful way of doing it which is to pull the pipe and stick a bolt in there to block it off. Or, you can buy the blanking plates (wot i did) and pull the whole system out....theres a fair bit of piping in there...the way i see it is the less crap there is running round the engine the better it will stay cool and, the whole bike, is just a bit lighter... you can get them in the uk...this is just what i found so you can see what the kit looks like...

You definately need the pair system cut off before any dyno work as the added fresh air will interfere with the dyno...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Z750-Z800...EAAOSw7ZlZpV4X

No need to change the plugs - theyll be fine for another good few thousand miles or so....if its brand new the service time is 8k i think...

K&N: get one but not for the performance but the plain old fact theyre washable...saves money buyng paper ones!!

If youre really stuck im not far away from you (Bristol) if you need any help.

Last edited by comfysofa; 05-14-2019 at 02:50 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-14-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Thank u so much,I haven't got anyone who is willing to help or who know what to do,this is what prompted me to join this forum,and u seem to know what I'm on about,if I order these plates and a k&n air filter,i may take u up on the offer to help me,I was going to follow the you tube video on the air filter,but I'm not a confident person. But I was going to give it s go,I wouldn't expect something for nothing,so I would pay you for ithe help,just got to get the money together for the air filter and plates first. Order them.... It's my dream bike,so I was worried about breaking something... Thank u again,it's a great help,and at least I know I've got someone to help,or point me in the right detection.... So greatful to u....
post #7 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Will this mod,cause my bike any problems in the long run,and what about amishions,would I have any problems with this... I've had a look can't find anything showing me how to do it,I've got a video of the air filter,but I'm really reluctant to take my bike apart,but I'll take a look.... Failing that I may take u up on its very generous offer if that's ok.k. with u,I'm not a confident person,but I'll take a look.... Thanks again for it's help...
post #8 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 02:26 PM

Garage
No. Uk bikes arent measured on emissions. Mines been through 2 MOT's with no issues.

First and foresmost. Before you/me/i/we start Theres lots of work to do. All of it not incredibly hard, straight forward but a little time consuming as to get to all the stuff we need to is under the tank but, all the paneling from the back to the front connects....to the tank!

The other thing is, if you plan on selling the bike in the future all the the performance go hand in hand - they all compliment each other to work together, so, if you want to return it back to standard then the ecu will need to be reflashed back, oem exhaust refitted, pair system re attached...The air filter, can stay....i dont think it gives any performance gain but, its washable which saves money buying paper air filters...

So, back to the first question, earlier, does it pop and bang alot.?
post #9 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Yes it pops and bangs slot,and it's loud without the baffles in,but it sound tinny and some saiy youneak sounding,as some put it....and again thank u,just making shore I ask everything I can think of before hand,I know I'm a bit of a newcance,and I have been known to test friendships,lol.... But I'm keeping the bike,just want to do the right thing,and talking to u has made me a lot happier with the desitions I'm making... Sorry if I'm annoying,but I think I would like help but I will let u know if I'm stuck,if u would,I've been a great help,thank u so much...
post #10 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 03:34 PM

Garage
Not so much "the right thing" but more a case of if you want more out of it....as it were.

If you fit the block off kit that will reduce the popping and banging by about 70% or so....i did the same as you...fitted the full system, then the air filter then the block off kit, then finally went to the dyno.

Im gonna put my neck on the block and offer the help, Although im pretty busy this month (getting my zed ready for the TT) and my dads old bike im just about to start restoring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page