User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-10-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Gear indicator

Has any one put a after market gear indicator on there z do they work or are the useless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-11-2018, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ordered a GIPRO a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting for it to arrive. Once I mount it, Iíll let you know.

But anything stopping me from shifting into 7th gear will be good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Race the rain, ride the wind & chase the sunset
post #3 of 20 Old 03-11-2018, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post
Has any one put a after market gear indicator on there z do they work or are the useless
I installed one on my 2016,I like it.im not searching for that extra gear to shift to anymore.

post #4 of 20 Old 03-11-2018, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I bought this one and it works, perfectly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Gear-Indicator-for-Kawasaki-ZX-6R-Z1000-Ninja-650R-Versys-03-06/252759144738?fits=Make%3AKawasaki&epid=549125605&h ash=item3ad99e7922:gmgAAOSwygtan7Xz&vxp=mtr

Its worth noting that there are a few configurations. Some of them have the control wire entering the display from the top, others from the back. Buy whatever one fits best , for your situation.

I chose "back" since I have the Ninja 1000 and put it on my dash.

Mine was 100% plug-n-play.

The have a delayed response, and I'l explain. Many bikes come with a real gear indicator
and those have a built in system for determining what gear the bike is in....like my old 2003 sv 650. That bike could sit on its sidestand and its indicator would keep track of the exact gear it was in.

Not so with this type. These plug into the diagnostic port under the seat. They work by calculating speed and rpm. So, it basically says that at "X" speed, and "Y" rpm, the bike HAS to be in gear "Z"

That works well until you change a front or rear sprocket size. If you change enough, then it may display an incorrect gear.

Lots of them have a custom tuning mode. Be sure yours has that if you have changed sprockets. Mine is still dead on with my 190/55 rear tire.

The muted response is no big deal. You ride along and the display says "1"....you pull in clutch, and shift to second. The display does not show gear "2" until you let the clutch back out.

No big deal, and its a cool accessory. I've tried to fool mine, but have failed every time. The thing just works.
Deadline and JOEYBADABOOM like this.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-15-2018, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
I bought this one and it works, perfectly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Gear-Indicator-for-Kawasaki-ZX-6R-Z1000-Ninja-650R-Versys-03-06/252759144738?fits=Make%3AKawasaki&epid=549125605&h ash=item3ad99e7922:gmgAAOSwygtan7Xz&vxp=mtr

Its worth noting that there are a few configurations. Some of them have the control wire entering the display from the top, others from the back. Buy whatever one fits best , for your situation.

I chose "back" since I have the Ninja 1000 and put it on my dash.

Mine was 100% plug-n-play.

The have a delayed response, and I'l explain. Many bikes come with a real gear indicator
and those have a built in system for determining what gear the bike is in....like my old 2003 sv 650. That bike could sit on its sidestand and its indicator would keep track of the exact gear it was in.

Not so with this type. These plug into the diagnostic port under the seat. They work by calculating speed and rpm. So, it basically says that at "X" speed, and "Y" rpm, the bike HAS to be in gear "Z"

That works well until you change a front or rear sprocket size. If you change enough, then it may display an incorrect gear.

Lots of them have a custom tuning mode. Be sure yours has that if you have changed sprockets. Mine is still dead on with my 190/55 rear tire.

The muted response is no big deal. You ride along and the display says "1"....you pull in clutch, and shift to second. The display does not show gear "2" until you let the clutch back out.

No big deal, and its a cool accessory. I've tried to fool mine, but have failed every time. The thing just works.

I think I have the same one, only I bought it from China directly(though aliexpress.com) and it was around $40 with shipping. I had it installed last week and just know it works, but have not tested it on the road coz its been snowing.

I also didn't know how it technically works. So thanks for sharing those details!

ZRRRR
post #6 of 20 Old 03-15-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thank u for all the info im may try one of the plug and play don’t really want to have to cut stuff. Also let me know how the gipro works for u
post #7 of 20 Old 03-15-2018, 04:47 PM

Garage
Here the one I have. It works. Plug and Play. Installation took 20 minutes coz I had to remove some plastics to hide the wire.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...311.0.0.uSxhsO

ZRRRR
post #8 of 20 Old 03-23-2018, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I got one for around $35 on eBay. works perfectly I got red and green liked the green better returned red.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-23-2018, 04:58 PM

Garage
Does it show the gear you are in right away or only when you start moving in that gear? In other words, if you are sitting at the light and shift into 1st gear from neutral, does it show that gear right away or does it show the last gear you were in while moving ?

ZRRRR
post #10 of 20 Old 03-23-2018, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
When I read the title I thought it was pointless then dude said looking for 7th. I do that every day I ride this high strung mofo. Think I may need one too.

Life is short.. better ride fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page