Ivans christmas sale...... - Page 2 - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 12-12-2017, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
Koggs, Im making myself sound like an advertisement for Ivan, and sorry for that.

I dont work for him. Ive paid full price for every reflash i've ever had. Ive talked to him a few times, but thats it. Im just a customer who bought his products and REALLY believes in them.

To make a long story short, Ivans work would make the bike more reliable, not less. The big reason for this is emissions. When Ivan sets the bike up, he does not need have to make your bike run hot. The stock bike has to in order keep the catalytic converters temperature up. Both fuel and timing have been messed with to make the stock bike run hot. The stock bike does this and runs hot in stop-n-go traffic. Thats just one example

In the old days, it was not unusual for out tuning guys to give their best guess as to what make power, then sell the kits, or settings to us. Hopefully, they considered reliability.

In modern times, the guesswork is pretty much gone. Theres no guesswork. Everything he does will have been tested and verified with very expensive test equipment.
What does the reflash do to any warranty? I'm picking my bike up on the 20th and will want to do this reflash,but I also don't want to void my extended warranty if there's any issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 12-12-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
If you had some sort of engine related issue, having a flashed bike wont help. Talk to Ivan and see what he recommends....I know he can flash an ecu back to stock.

That might very well work......send the ecu back to Ivan, have him flash it back to stock, and hope no one checked when you took the bike into the shop for.....oh wait....these are ninja/z 1000's...they really dont ever break down.....still, pretend....

For me, I did not worry about it. The bike is pretty much trouble free, and I wanted it to run correctly. That was my top priority.

If I were trying to protect an extended warranty, my choice would have been to leave it stock, and not change anything about the bike.

The 2014 and newer machines are supposed to run better, stock, than what my 2012 did. Still it would be three years of torture, for me, if I had to keep it stock to protect the warranty.

Last edited by rcannon; 12-12-2017 at 10:34 AM.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-12-2017, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I asked my dealer before I had it done. They said it depends on the situation. if there was an issue related to the ECM they may not cover it but if it has nothing to do with the ECM they wouldn't mention it to the manufacturer. So really it depends on the shop and depends on the issue.

post #14 of 17 Old 12-14-2017, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
Koggs, Im making myself sound like an advertisement for Ivan, and sorry for that.

I dont work for him. Ive paid full price for every reflash i've ever had. Ive talked to him a few times, but thats it. Im just a customer who bought his products and REALLY believes in them.

To make a long story short, Ivans work would make the bike more reliable, not less. The big reason for this is emissions. When Ivan sets the bike up, he does not need have to make your bike run hot. The stock bike has to in order keep the catalytic converters temperature up. Both fuel and timing have been messed with to make the stock bike run hot. The stock bike does this and runs hot in stop-n-go traffic. Thats just one example

In the old days, it was not unusual for out tuning guys to give their best guess as to what make power, then sell the kits, or settings to us. Hopefully, they considered reliability.

In modern times, the guesswork is pretty much gone. Theres no guesswork. Everything he does will have been tested and verified with very expensive test equipment.
Thanks for your input rcannon. I've been sold on Ivan's stuff since I talked to him a while back about the full upgrade. -True though, I still have thoughts of weirdness happening once I make the changes but that's brought on by my previous bike woes and maybe a lack of confidence in my wrenching skillz. --I shouldn't draw comparisons towards the Z, but I guess I'm only human. ..!
If/when I upgrade, I'm going to go buy the full package and will most likely be smiling even more than I do now, still.
rcannon likes this.

_____
bone stock. sorta.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-15-2017, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Koggs, I felt like you were asking and doing what normal people do. Nothing strange or unusual about your feelings, for sure.

This is one of those mods. I really cant explain it.

Even something as good as my Traxion/Penske suspension has some drawbacks. To do the suspension up right, seat height was increased. Not a great thing if the rider is 5'4".

This flash is pretty much the exception. I cant think of a real drawback..ok, maybe tire wear if you really have fun..but outside of that, it just works.

Especially nice, now, since you dont need to do anything else to make it work. In the old days, we had to cut and splice wires, add power commanders, remove butterflies, etc...

Now, thats all over. Two simple plugs. Id be angry if it was not such a brilliant mod.
Koggs likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-15-2017, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
ok so ..I think I'm confused a bit on my thinking. ... So the re-flash does not require a full exhaust (w/out cat)? I thought I'm going to need a complete system to have the re-flash work as programmed. I didn't discuss this with Ivan at the time cuz I was looking into a full system ie exhaust header and a set of Akra's. Maybe he can re-flash as needed with my current setup. ?

_____
bone stock. sorta.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-16-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Ivan has different versions of each flash.

Sure, they will all have several common settings, but there are specific flashes for a full exhaust, slip on, stock exhaust, etc.

So, you buy a flash now and use your stock exhaust.....no problem. Next winter, you buy a full exhaust. At that point, you'll send the ecu back and have Ivan flash it to the full exhaut version...no charge, other than shipping.

To answer your question, there is no need for a full exhaust, slip on, or any mods, really. You can have a very good running bike thats 100% stock except for the reflash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page