30,000 mile review on my 2012 Z1000 - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By GundamNitPete
  • 1 Post By BriansZ1000

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-16-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
30,000 mile review on my 2012 Z1000

Hey guys,

So I passed 30,000 miles on my Z a few days ago, so I made a video review showing my thoughts on the bike. I hope you guys like it

rcheli32 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2016, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
I love honest reviews spoken like grown ups talk, and not like network tv. That fuel cut is not exclusive to a z 1000, or Ninja. Its in cars and pretty much everything else that has a cat. If you think the stock z 1000 is bad, you should try my mazda 3. Most other bikes/cars do a way better job of hiding it than what we have.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2016, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Nice review - pretty much mirrors my experience with my 2011z. Almost bulletproof, takes a lickin but keeps on tickin ................

post #4 of 9 Old 05-17-2016, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Pete, did you adjust the valves? I heard you talk about the gas cap and battery, but not about the valves. Or maybe I just missed that part?
tnx

I agree about the Z being an all purpose bike. I've found it works well with city rides, spirited canyon rides, cruiser type speed canyon rides, well, as much as I can keep my wrist from twisting and long trips. Are the bags SW Motech? Would you recommend them?

_____
bone stock. sorta.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-17-2016, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
My gas lock seized only a few months after buying my bike new. Ignition lock went south about a year ago. I had two keys at that time and the dealer was kind enough to switch out all locks back to one key. So yeah, lubing the key ways is extremely important. Also, I am still on the stock battery. I've killed the thing multiple times and it keeps holding a charge. And agreed on how dependable this thing is. After 60,000 miles the bike has NEVER not started unless it was something I did wrong.
Nice review.

2010 Black/Silver
post #6 of 9 Old 05-17-2016, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bought the exact bike in NY less than a yr ago with 2,500 mi on it for $6,300. The guy selling it to me was 50 yrs old and I too am 50 yrs old, loving this machine. I've got only 4,450 mi on her so far.

My experience is the same as yours, totally confident ride, reliable, nice riding position, power is incredible in all ranges and I get looks/compliments all the time.

Previous owner used graphite on the locks and I continue to do the same. I never had an issue with locks so far, (I never ride in the rain, nor have I washed it with water yet-haven't had to really).

Knowing you're on the same clutch at 30,000 is really encouraging as I wondered how long before I'd have to replace it.

So far I've done oil change (synthetic), brake fluid change (synthetic), coolant and replaced both the original tires to Dunlop Q3's. I clean the chain with Kerosene every 600 mi and lubricate with chain wax every 300 mi.

Pete, as Koggs mentioned have you done a valve adjustment? You didn't mention spark plugs either- just curious.

Last edited by Troubled Gecko; 05-17-2016 at 10:12 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-18-2016, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
I love honest reviews spoken like grown ups talk, and not like network tv. That fuel cut is not exclusive to a z 1000, or Ninja. Its in cars and pretty much everything else that has a cat. If you think the stock z 1000 is bad, you should try my mazda 3. Most other bikes/cars do a way better job of hiding it than what we have.

Thanks man! That's what I was going for. That "friend speaking to a friend" feel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-lover View Post
Nice review - pretty much mirrors my experience with my 2011z. Almost bulletproof, takes a lickin but keeps on tickin ................

But, not VALVE ticking right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koggs View Post
Pete, did you adjust the valves? I heard you talk about the gas cap and battery, but not about the valves. Or maybe I just missed that part?
tnx

I agree about the Z being an all purpose bike. I've found it works well with city rides, spirited canyon rides, cruiser type speed canyon rides, well, as much as I can keep my wrist from twisting and long trips. Are the bags SW Motech? Would you recommend them?

I have not yet had the valves checked but I'm due for that very shortly! I'm expecting a little out but nothing too crazy. The motor hasn't given me any issue thus far.

Yes! They are SW-Motech and I would recommend them! They come with a bit of plastic to protect the fairings but it didn't work well for me. I just use some blue painters tape on the fairings now. Much simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansZ1000 View Post
My gas lock seized only a few months after buying my bike new. Ignition lock went south about a year ago. I had two keys at that time and the dealer was kind enough to switch out all locks back to one key. So yeah, lubing the key ways is extremely important. Also, I am still on the stock battery. I've killed the thing multiple times and it keeps holding a charge. And agreed on how dependable this thing is. After 60,000 miles the bike has NEVER not started unless it was something I did wrong.
Nice review.

Yeah, the guys who looked at my bike in the shop said these gas cap issues were common with kawker's. Wow 60,000 miles! Glad to her the old bike has lots of life left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubled Gecko View Post
Bought the exact bike in NY less than a yr ago with 2,500 mi on it for $6,300. The guy selling it to me was 50 yrs old and I too am 50 yrs old, loving this machine. I've got only 4,450 mi on her so far.

My experience is the same as yours, totally confident ride, reliable, nice riding position, power is incredible in all ranges and I get looks/compliments all the time.

Previous owner used graphite on the locks and I continue to do the same. I never had an issue with locks so far, (I never ride in the rain, nor have I washed it with water yet-haven't had to really).

Knowing you're on the same clutch at 30,000 is really encouraging as I wondered how long before I'd have to replace it.

So far I've done oil change (synthetic), brake fluid change (synthetic), coolant and replaced both the original tires to Dunlop Q3's. I clean the chain with Kerosene every 600 mi and lubricate with chain wax every 300 mi.

Pete, as Koggs mentioned have you done a valve adjustment? You didn't mention spark plugs either- just curious.

Q3's are fantastic tires! I love them, although I went with PR4's for my most recent tires for a little better highway wear. Both are great though.

I have not done spark plugs or a vavle asjustment! Those are next on my list!

Thanks for all the comments dudes
post #8 of 9 Old 05-18-2016, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamNitPete View Post
I have not yet had the valves checked but I'm due for that very shortly! I'm expecting a little out but nothing too crazy.
Make sure to post up the clearances prior to being adjusted.

Thanks!
z-lover likes this.

2010 Black/Silver
post #9 of 9 Old 05-18-2016, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansZ1000 View Post
Make sure to post up the clearances prior to being adjusted.

Thanks!
Yes please, I second that. I recently posted my 30000mile valve clearances, as did BriansZ for 60000miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page