2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-15-2017, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Valve Clearance

Hi there.. just wondering.. what is the trigger point for us to do Valve Clearance to our Z1k? .. Any preferred mileage?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-16-2017, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Garage
I wouldn't mess with it unless you're having running issues. Go by what the FSM suggests.

"You're not drunk until you have to grab the grass to keep from falling off the Earth."

"It's not a party until someone throws up on a stripper."

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-16-2017, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I just downloaded an owners manual and it suggests every 15k miles. Unless you're running the bike really hard I wouldn't worry with it that frequently. 3Bones just did his and he has some decent mileage on his bike and only 2 needed adjusted IIRC.

"You're not drunk until you have to grab the grass to keep from falling off the Earth."

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

post #4 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92K1500 View Post
I just downloaded an owners manual and it suggests every 15k miles. Unless you're running the bike really hard I wouldn't worry with it that frequently. 3Bones just did his and he has some decent mileage on his bike and only 2 needed adjusted IIRC.
thanks bro.. some of my friend did asked to follow as per the manual says.. but some of them not recommended me to do that unless my bike got some tappet / shims noise during cruising.
they said once we've done VC, u'r bike will no longer get the default factory setting. my mileage is already 37k miles but so far never heard any tappet/shims noise yet.

post #5 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
With that many miles it wouldn't hurt because you probably have a couple out of spec. Not critical but it can't hurt anything to look.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
You actually want the tappet shim noise....

Not hearing noise is an issue. The correct spec is a small amount of play. Not play, how about clearance?

When you have zero clearance, it will be quiet, and thats not what you are after.

Its actually backwards of what they are telling you.

When they wear, they dont loosen up. The setting gets tighter. You typically change shims to give more clearance, not less. There is always an exception, but this is normally how the adjustment would work.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I have valve train noise on my 2015, has had it since new. I assumed they were solid type lifters which would explain it.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We finally got the valves checked on my son's 03 at 39,000 miles. EVERY valve was out of spec. Ran much better after the job was done.

Mad
post #9 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet2 View Post
I have valve train noise on my 2015, has had it since new. I assumed they were solid type lifters which would explain it.
We dont really have anything called a lifter.

The cam directly opens the valve.

In a way, that shim is your lifter. It sits under a bucket, and its thickness determines how much clearance there is.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-17-2017, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Ok, so solid system which is what I assumed. Anything solid you should have some noise. I hear it at idle plenty. Don't hear it while riding.
rcannon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page