03 mid to higher speed stumble - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenHornet2
  • 1 Post By Maddevill
  • 1 Post By GreenHornet2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-14-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
03 mid to higher speed stumble

03 Z with just over 80,000 miles that I've owned and maintained since new in '06. Only issue until now was a bad battery at around 60k in '14 I think.
No discernable oil usage or valve movement, I replace plugs though they always look like new and I extended intervals. Etc.

Picks up a stumble when warm and a load put on.

Typical is a ride I take every 3 weeks for cigarettes on the Rez. 65 miles at 75 with bursts to 100, dropping around 2000' in elevation. No issues. On the return trip riding the same when dialing it on to pass or on steeper climbs it may stutter, and when it starts it doesn't want to stop unless you let up. If you try to dial up again it starts again. Once it starts it can occur at lower speeds also when giving it throttle.

I've scanned all 35 pages of threads and read a score of them. Seems to be a fueling issue, filter, pump, or fuel line. I've already vented both canister lines to atmosphere. That seemed to help at first, but no.

I ride year around at least once a month but put Stabil in the tank with winter fills just in case.

Any additional ideas before I start digging into this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-15-2017, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Fuel filter first, especially if it's never been changed. It sounds very much like a restriction in the filter. Possibly a fuel pump that starts to quit when it gets run for an extended period of time, had this happen in my friends Tractor. Would run fine for 20 minutes then you couldn't go up a hill or put a load on it without it falling on its face and stalling unless you let off the throttle.
Flagstaff likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-15-2017, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My son's 03 would stumble bad when it was ridden hard or got really hot like on the freeway. Turned out the fuel pump motor was getting bad. Found a German replacement motor on ebay.
He replaced just the motor and the problem is gone.

Mad
Flagstaff likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-15-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet2 View Post
Fuel filter first, especially if it's never been changed. It sounds very much like a restriction in the filter. Possibly a fuel pump that starts to quit when it gets run for an extended period of time, had this happen in my friends Tractor. Would run fine for 20 minutes then you couldn't go up a hill or put a load on it without it falling on its face and stalling unless you let off the throttle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
My son's 03 would stumble bad when it was ridden hard or got really hot like on the freeway. Turned out the fuel pump motor was getting bad. Found a German replacement motor on ebay.
He replaced just the motor and the problem is gone.

Mad
Thanks for the responses. Anyone else? Probably be a week or so until I get to it.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-17-2017, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention I'm not getting the FI light up, so by the manual it looks like fuel injectors or fuel pressure (filter/pump/line). If it's a fueling issue which is what it feels like.

Found some time. Pulled the tank. The line is clear, filter and bowl almost spotless. I found the German replacement, High Flow HFP382S on EBay for 70 bucks and 60 on Amazon.

The O-ring/seal/gasket looks perfect and pliable so think I will reuse.

Ordering tomorrow if I don't see a different direction.

Will report result.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-22-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Apparent success! Always difficult to say with what was an intermittent issue.

The pump appears to be of good quality, only issue was the included filter was too tight to slip on. I heated it with boiling water and after 4 or five tries got it ALMOST all the way on. Enough for the snap on retainer to hold it anyway.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
ah cool. time to ride!
Flagstaff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page