HDEO 10w40 Fully Synthetic - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-07-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
HDEO 10w40 Fully Synthetic

Hi bro,

Just to get opinion.. have any of u tried using HDEO into our Z1k? Any advise on this HDEO usage? I'm planning to use it in my next service if it's ok to go.

TQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-08-2017, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I run rotella t6 which many do. It's heavy duty and good for wet clutch systems. 5w-40, which is superior to 10w
post #3 of 12 Old 06-08-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
In my country (Malaysia) we don't have Rotella.. we only have Rimula and i'm currently looking forward to use Rimula R6 MS 10w40 soon.. however, i cant find any API and JASO in its spec.. any advise?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-09-2017, 11:04 AM

You for sure need to make sure it meets the spec for the bike, it must work with wet clutches.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-14-2017, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lucas makes a motorcycle specific full synthetic with modifiers (zinc ? - phosphorus ?) for a wet clutch.

Good Stuff

I use their 20-50 but they also have a lighter weights.

https://lucasoil.com/products/motorc...otorcycle-oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet2 View Post
5w-40, which is superior to 10w
I disagree

Last edited by jimz; 06-14-2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: spill chick
post #6 of 12 Old 06-15-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimz View Post
Lucas makes a motorcycle specific full synthetic with modifiers (zinc ? - phosphorus ?) for a wet clutch.

Good Stuff

I use their 20-50 but they also have a lighter weights.

https://lucasoil.com/products/motorc...otorcycle-oils

I disagree

Please explain why
post #7 of 12 Old 06-15-2017, 12:16 PM

the heavier viscosity oil protects engine better than a lighter viscosity

Last edited by jimz; 06-15-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spill chick
post #8 of 12 Old 06-15-2017, 12:39 PM

Ok, well 5w and 10w don't change the viscosity of the oil while at temp, it only reduces the thickness of the oil on a start up. Higher viscosity may protect better BUT if you run oil too thick it will not get to the upper part of the engine as quickly or as easily, with engine having tighter tolerances it is also possible not enough oil will get between moving parts to lubricate them properly and also may cause the oil not to drain back fast enough and you can run your sump dry. You should run the weight oil the manufacturer recommends, running a lower "W" is better in that it will not be as thick on a start up and will feed the top end and fill tolerances faster. a 5w40 is no thinner than a 15w40 at operating temperatures.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-15-2017, 01:19 PM

Thinner and thicker are mis-leading terms. Two oils can flow down an incline at the same rate but one may have a higher viscosity. It's how much energy is needed to erase the trail of it which is the measure of viscosity.
The oil pump is a mechanical device, it will pump a volume amount constant across temp ranges. The heavier viscosity benefits on startup because the film it left behind protects better.

Green Hornet, you seem to be very knowledgeable and a pretty nice guy who tries to be helpful to everyone and I admire that.

In this Z1 motor, I'll opt for the heavier viscosity.

*edit - our motor oil not only lubricates the piston rings, cyl and valve gear, it also is used as gear oil - which generally is a heavier weight oil

Last edited by jimz; 06-15-2017 at 01:25 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-15-2017, 02:28 PM

We can agree to disagree that is fine by me. Viscosity generally relates to thickness in a way, the higher viscosity the more internal friction in the fluid causing a slower flow. In my own personal experience I had a friend who ran 20w-50 in his Camaro with an old model 350 and high volume oil pump, blew the motor because he was gear low and ran 3500rpm all day, the oil wasn't getting back to the oil pan fast enough. To each his own. In my opinion T6 is great stuff and a weight I would prefer to run over a 20w-50. I do believe there is a reason new vehicle run 20 weight oil and get more power and mpg than old vehicles that ran 40 weight, not that is has to do directly with the oil, but they must be doing something right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page