Performance upgrades...without getting a tune - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 09-13-2016, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Technique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Utah
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Question Performance upgrades...without getting a tune

Hey guys, new member here with a few questions. I just got a 2016 Z1000 and looking to get it built up (slowly)

The question is, what can I do without getting a tune?

My plan is to have a full exhaust, block off plates, new air filter, airbox mod?(if thats thing with this bike) and getting it tuned. But sadly I cannot afford do to it all in one go and want to do what I can when I have the funding available. That being said, I wanna make sure I'm not doing anything that will make the bike run too lean (or too rich?) and damage the motor.

I would like to get headers now as mine have seen salt..and got some nice ugly stains on them (was out on the salt flats) but if that would be too much change without getting the bike tuned, I will get slip ons instead. I'm going to keep the dual exhaust setup if that makes a difference.

Let me know what you guys think would be safe to change without getting it tuned first! I do plan on getting it tuned once I complete the full system as I know it is a must.

Also, if anybody has some 'must do' things appearance wise or performance wise feel free to share that with me

Thanks guys!
Technique is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 09-14-2016, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
 
92K1500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sapulpa OK
Posts: 3,016
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Garage
A tune without any other mods will bring power.

Without a tune I wouldn't go farther than slip ons and a filter.

According to Ivan the single exhaust makes the most power and is far cheaper than dual exhaust. But @ash_z1000 on here has the dual akrapovic setup and is making more power than ivan. But that's also 2 different dynos and australia vs new york.

It's all about the same.

"You're not drunk until you have to grab the grass to keep from falling off the Earth."

"It's not a party until someone throws up on a stripper."

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
92K1500 is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 09-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Bearilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: KCMO
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I would suggest doing the ECU flash and slipons. Outside of that I would not do any more mods without going all in and running either Ivan's tune or a custom tune on the PCV.

The single exit exhaust setup is most ideal for making power. Honestly though.... I would pick what you like the best. I just went through this with my 2016 Z1000 and went with a dual setup because I liked the look a little more (was a little more expensive than going single). My bike still made 137hp and 76lb/ft (I think.... actual numbers in my thread) while heat soaking. If I were to go to a dyno day and got a pull on my bike while it was fresh there is no doubt it would reach into the 140hp range. More importantly it is MUCH smoother and more enjoyable to ride (was pretty enjoyable before). I have a thread on here about everything I have done and my results. Also have a video link to give you an idea of the different exhaust tones with stock header and Arrow header. If there is anything in that thread you have questions about just ask in there or send me a message, I would be happy to share any information.

Must do's: Fender eliminator, flush mount front signals, integrated tail light, frame sliders and taking those ugly black accent stickers off of the tail and the front.
Bearilla is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 Old 09-14-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Technique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Utah
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92K1500 View Post
A tune without any other mods will bring power.

Without a tune I wouldn't go farther than slip ons and a filter.

According to Ivan the single exhaust makes the most power and is far cheaper than dual exhaust. But @ash_z1000 on here has the dual akrapovic setup and is making more power than ivan. But that's also 2 different dynos and australia vs new york.

It's all about the same.
Yeah, I was considering the single exhaust and going with the akra, but I just couldn't get over how damn long the can is...so I've decided to keep the dual option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearilla View Post
I would suggest doing the ECU flash and slipons. Outside of that I would not do any more mods without going all in and running either Ivan's tune or a custom tune on the PCV.

The single exit exhaust setup is most ideal for making power. Honestly though.... I would pick what you like the best. I just went through this with my 2016 Z1000 and went with a dual setup because I liked the look a little more (was a little more expensive than going single). My bike still made 137hp and 76lb/ft (I think.... actual numbers in my thread) while heat soaking. If I were to go to a dyno day and got a pull on my bike while it was fresh there is no doubt it would reach into the 140hp range. More importantly it is MUCH smoother and more enjoyable to ride (was pretty enjoyable before). I have a thread on here about everything I have done and my results. Also have a video link to give you an idea of the different exhaust tones with stock header and Arrow header. If there is anything in that thread you have questions about just ask in there or send me a message, I would be happy to share any information.

Must do's: Fender eliminator, flush mount front signals, integrated tail light, frame sliders and taking those ugly black accent stickers off of the tail and the front.
I also like the dual more, so I think I'm gonna stay with that. 137hp and 76lb/ft torque is awesome! Did you run with Ivans tune at first or decided to go straight to a local dyno? That's another thing I'm debating...getting Ivans flash...or tuned locally..so many damn decisions! I've done fender eliminator, flush front mounts, integrated tail light, frame sliders, vortex gas cap, and replaced the clutch lever. I'm gonna check out your thread and videos now. Thanks for the input
Technique is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 09-15-2016, 11:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Bearilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: KCMO
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technique View Post
Yeah, I was considering the single exhaust and going with the akra, but I just couldn't get over how damn long the can is...so I've decided to keep the dual option.



I also like the dual more, so I think I'm gonna stay with that. 137hp and 76lb/ft torque is awesome! Did you run with Ivans tune at first or decided to go straight to a local dyno? That's another thing I'm debating...getting Ivans flash...or tuned locally..so many damn decisions! I've done fender eliminator, flush front mounts, integrated tail light, frame sliders, vortex gas cap, and replaced the clutch lever. I'm gonna check out your thread and videos now. Thanks for the input
I went with Ivan's ECU flash as my local shop does not have the ability to flash the ECU on the z1000. With the ECU flash you get unrestricted power in 1st and 2nd gear I believe but also the fuel cut is eliminated. The herky jerky on/off throttle is remedied with the flash. He also removes certain sensors so when you do the full setup your bike isn't throwing a fit with check codes. Ivan prefers to run all fuel management through the PCV unit. So I initially ran Ivan's map but have a great shop where I live so I planned on getting it dyno tuned there from the start.

I feel (and I think others would agree) having a specific dyno tune, for your bike, by a good tuner is the best route to take. Ivan's stuff is great and completely fine to stick with. I would even suggest to stick with it if you do not have a reputable shop in your area.

Some places have good shops that have the ability to do everything with the ECU, but if you go the Ivan route you will need both the ECU flash and a PCV for the full setup. Think of it like the ECU is improving the stock feel of the bike and the PCV is going to fine tune that while getting you more power.

If you only have money right now for one upgrade I would suggest Ivan's ECU flash. The bike will feel great compared to stock. Then you can do the slipons. When you are ready to do the header, you will need to be ready to go all in (PCV with Ivan's map or custom dyno tune, block off plates, air filter and airbox mod).

Hope you find the thread informative. Let me know if there is anything else you have questions about.
Bearilla is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 09-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I did Ivan's reflash first it's not that expensive and it works 95% with a full system and air filter. If you do the air box mod you will have to get an PV5 auto tune. This is what Ivan has told me.
twurz96 is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 09-15-2016, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Bearilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: KCMO
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twurz96 View Post
I did Ivan's reflash first it's not that expensive and it works 95% with a full system and air filter. If you do the air box mod you will have to get an PV5 auto tune. This is what Ivan has told me.
I am not sure if this is something new he is suggesting but I do not have the PCV autotune (I don't even think his all inclusive kit which has instructions for the airbox mod comes with this). I would think this would ruin any tuning you have done on your bike.

Maybe others can comment on this but he did not suggest the autotune to me. All work was done back in June-July.
Bearilla is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 09-15-2016, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: salt lake city, ut
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearilla View Post
I went with Ivan's ECU flash as my local shop does not have the ability to flash the ECU on the z1000. With the ECU flash you get unrestricted power in 1st and 2nd gear I believe but also the fuel cut is eliminated. The herky jerky on/off throttle is remedied with the flash. He also removes certain sensors so when you do the full setup your bike isn't throwing a fit with check codes. Ivan prefers to run all fuel management through the PCV unit. So I initially ran Ivan's map but have a great shop where I live so I planned on getting it dyno tuned there from the start.

I feel (and I think others would agree) having a specific dyno tune, for your bike, by a good tuner is the best route to take. Ivan's stuff is great and completely fine to stick with. I would even suggest to stick with it if you do not have a reputable shop in your area.

Some places have good shops that have the ability to do everything with the ECU, but if you go the Ivan route you will need both the ECU flash and a PCV for the full setup. Think of it like the ECU is improving the stock feel of the bike and the PCV is going to fine tune that while getting you more power.

If you only have money right now for one upgrade I would suggest Ivan's ECU flash. The bike will feel great compared to stock. Then you can do the slipons. When you are ready to do the header, you will need to be ready to go all in (PCV with Ivan's map or custom dyno tune, block off plates, air filter and airbox mod).

Hope you find the thread informative. Let me know if there is anything else you have questions about.
I have a question!

How different was your custom map to the one Ivan supplied? Specifically, down low..at small throttle openings?
rcannon is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 09-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Bearilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: KCMO
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
I have a question!

How different was your custom map to the one Ivan supplied? Specifically, down low..at small throttle openings?
As far as on/off throttle is concerned I feel both are prob equally as smooth. Also, no issues with either one while having the throttle slightly open.

If the weather clears up for us this weekend I will test both maps and see if I can notice the difference.
Bearilla is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 09-17-2016, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: salt lake city, ut
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Id sure appreciate an update, and your opinion .

I played with autotune, and ivans map. It offered suggestions, and I went with them over abotu a 3 month time line. I made the changes until it stabilized.

When it was all over, I compared my custom map, to ivans base map, and Ivans was better.

The fact autotune changed it was encouraging, as if to prove it was actually doing something (stupid, I know...)

But, it did illustrate the idea of a tuner needing to know a specific a/f ratio, and tune to that. Just looking , online, and copying a 13.5 table of what some guy did to his s 1000rr was nto the answer.

Last edited by rcannon; 09-17-2016 at 10:40 AM.
rcannon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome