exhaust question... - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums > kawasaki Z1000 forums > Z1000 Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #1

Bike: 03 z1000
Default exhaust question...

i am currently running stock header with muzzy y pipe & muffler. i gutted & cut 7 inches off of the stock pipes. my question is, would putting the modded stock pipes back on hurt or help my performance? i like the look & sound of my exhaust now but i got alot more compliments with the factory pipes on it.
03 z1000 muzzy header, & shortened muffler, pc3 usb, k & n filter, airbox top cut out, disabled secondaries, accel pump on, custom map, +4 degree ignition advancer, lightened flywheel, 15/40 gearing, speedo healer, steering damper, more mods to come....

Last edited by htech71; 05-09-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #2

Bike: 07 z1000 09 Moto Guzzi , 11 concours,04 zrx 1200

when you go to a bike show run the stock...when you want performance run the Muzzy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #3

Bike: 2011 Z1000 ABS

I seriously doubt whether it'd make that much difference. Maybe a few Hp?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #4

Bike: 2003 Kawasaki Z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by htech71 View Post
i am currently running stock header with muzzy y pipe & muffler. i gutted & cut 7 inches off of the stock pipes. my question is, would putting the modded stock pipes back on hurt or help my performance? i like the look & sound of my exhaust now but i got alot more compliments with the factory pipes on it.
I had Muzzy's slip-ons when I got my Z, and loved they way they sounded! I really liked the way the stockers looked though. The large Muzzy's cans on both sides made the bike feel fat too. The choice is yours, but I put my stock pipes with a 3"/5" staggered cut back on, and never looked back.

I doubt you see a performance loss that is noticeable.
-Airbox Mod
-Disabled secondaries
-3/5 Exhaust Hack
-Fender elim. kit
-RaceTech 1.0 fork springs
-Factory pro +4 advancer
Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #5

Bike: 04 Z1000

I would chop that muzzy in half
I heart my stubbed Arata

But im different than most you guys on this forum. haha i HATE the stock z1k pipes and i don't care for dual exhaust. Single-sided stubbies for life!! haha
Old 09-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #6

Bike: 2010 black/silver

For performance, I don't think slip-on mufflers do a whole lot versus full exhaust, so if you like the looks of one better than the other, put on whatever floats your boat. The bike's still gonna be fast.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #7

Bike: 2010 black/silver

Whoops. I forgot to answer your original question. I believe putting stock back on would hurt performance. I don't know what the stock pipes look like, but if they're wide-open pipes because you chopped them, you might be looking at some torque loss. Open pipes are more oriented toward high-rev horsepower whereas there needs to be some back pressure to make decent torque.

The slip ons are probably better than anything you could do with the stock exhaust, but like I said in my previous response, I don't think slip ons do a whole lot.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #8

Bike: 03 z1000

yea i gutted the stockers, figured i would lose a little bit
03 z1000 muzzy header, & shortened muffler, pc3 usb, k & n filter, airbox top cut out, disabled secondaries, accel pump on, custom map, +4 degree ignition advancer, lightened flywheel, 15/40 gearing, speedo healer, steering damper, more mods to come....
Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #9

Bike: 2003 Z1000 "Orange & Black"

I cut 10" out of my stock pipes. Don't touch the cats and you will be fine. No noticeable change in performance positive or negative, but it sounds incredible. Better than my friends aftermarkets. I have been running it that way for over a year now and have had no adverse effects.... about 20,000 miles worth of riding. Just leave the cats alone and replace the end caps so it looks fairly stock.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #10

Bike: 2011 Ninja 1000

Look at my ECU post.
Slip ons only gained 7 full system without the siliencer gained 9 with it in gained 7.
That says that the cat aint that restrictive and really neither are the cans.
SO if you like the stockers leave them.
Are you really going to notice 7 HP at 10500?

The added HP gain in all of the other gears and or torque is extremly minimal.
Believe it or Kawasaki pretty much got what they could out of this bike.
Thats comming from someone who has run several dyno runs and spent close to $2000 for 11 HP gain and 4 llbs of Torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement