CNC Brake/Clutch Levers Blade Style.. Warning! - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-08-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CNC Brake/Clutch Levers Blade Style.. Warning!

Alright guys, this is probably going to be a little long winded so grab a fresh beer before you read this...

Let me start off by saying, I'm not an idiot when it comes to mechanics. I just built a 1980 Yamaha XS650 bobber from the ground up and fabricated and installed everything myself, and had zero problems doing so. You'll see why I'm saying this as you read on..

I bought these levers off of eBay. When I received them, I was pretty impressed. They felt solid and fitment was exact. I compared them to the stock levers and they are identical aside from the color and lever shape. Now, what I DIDN'T realize is that there is a brass fitting inside of the brake lever that has a hole in it that allows the brake plunger to seat into it. For any of you who have bought these lever, or are thinking about it, make sure you look for this fitting. Anyways, I installed these levers and the brass fitting wasn't lined up with the plunger, but everything still worked. I took the bike for a ride and everything was great! Loved them. One morning on my way to work, I went through an intersection that connects to a wilderness preserve... Tons of deer!!! So, I never go above 40MPH. I hit 4th gear and the bike felt very sluggish. I twisted the throttle a couple of times and I could tell something wasn't right. I tried to pull over and when I squeezed the front brake, it locked up! . We'll just say that if i didn't have a helmet on, I could've kissed my front fender and I needed a seat foam extractor after to get the seat out of my ***. Anyways, I managed to muscle the bike and keep it shiny side up. It was a great win for a ****ty situation. I bled the brakes real quick in the middle of the road and was able to get to work going slow and gingerly using the rear brake.

When I got done work, I went out to get on the bike to get it home so I could load it in my truck and take it to the dealership to have it looked at. As was getting my gear on, I went to move the bike and the brake was locked up... again. I was really starting to get pissed, so I bled them again to free them up but had a buddy meet me at work with my truck. We loaded it up and took it to the dealer.

Now here is the part where all of the drama, damage, and tempers enter the story...

I told the dealer everything that had happened. They looked at the bike for 2 days straight, but weren't able to duplicate what had happened to me on my way to work. So on the 3rd day, one of the workers at the dealer took it for a ride. 14 miles into the ride, guess what?! The front brake locked up. He wasn't as lucky as I was though. When it locked up, he immediately dumped my bike and destroyed the whole right side of the bike. I received a call saying that my bike had been laid down and that I needed to call my insurance. So that's exactly what I did. My insurance co. informed me that since I wasn't on the bike and that the dealer was on it for "business", that it was the dealers responsibility.. obviously.. right?!

I went down to the dealer and the lady (service manager) brought be back to show me my bike. My heart sank when I saw it. My pride and joy was ruined! I told her that the dealers insurance was going to be the one who had to take care of this, and this is where the tempers came out. She said that because the brake lever was on wrong, that it was my fault. She then called the owner of the dealership over so I could talk to him. I told him that this was their fault because I brought my bike in to have the entire front brake system looked at and that SOMETHING WAS WRONG! He then proceeded to get in my face and started yelling at me! Lucky for him, I'm in law enforcement, so it wasn't like I could knock his teeth out for doing something as stupid as that, as much as I wanted to. He told/showed me what had gone wrong with the brake lever and said that he wasn't responsible. I told him our insurance companies will hash that out. Apparently the dealership needed to wreck a $10k bike with 1300 miles on it to figure out the problem .

I told the service manager that I felt that i was being scammed and that it felt like they were scheming to try to get out of that.. Here's the best part.. Her response to that "I feel that you put that brake lever on wrong because you wanted to kill one of my co-workers!" .

So, I guess out of alllll of this, I wanted to let you guys know that if you do buy any aftermarket levers for your bike, and they don't come with instructions, double check your work and make sure they're on correctly. I'd hate to see anyone get seriously hurt over it, or have to go through the headache that I'm going through now with a dealership or repair shop.

Here's the link to the levers.. hope it works..

1 Pair of CNC Brake Clutch Levers Blade Style Fit for Kawasaki Z1000 2007 2012 | eBay

Be safe out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-08-2013, 12:46 PM

Sorry you went down over this but it is a fairly common and well known problem with aftermarket levers, especially cheap ones from foreign countries. There was a guy on here that went down twice before figuring it out.
Good luck getting the douchebags to take responsibility for spilling the bike. Its crazy that they say its your fault when u took it to them saying the front brakes keep locking up. And then They decided to take it for a test ride without fixing it.
What happens is the plunger never fully releases so the brakes are rubbing and this causes the fluid to heat up and apply more pressure to the brakes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Project 1 build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-08-2013, 12:55 PM

dam that sucks man. at least your ok.
the only aftermarket levers i have ever bought were from Ride-it-moto. i have had 3 sets and never any probs

~2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050~
Rizoma Bar Ends
Rizoma Bar End Mirrors
Rizoma Bars
Pazzo Shorty Levers
Factory After Market Exhaust
Reflashed ECU
Carbon Fiber Accents - Front Fender, Exhaust Guards, Radiator Covers
Integrated Taillight
Corbin Seat
Solo Cowl
Powder Coated Rearsets and Pegs

post #4 of 14 Old 09-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sorry to hear it.

"If we have learned anything from zombies it is that once you have had human flesh you cant be trusted to stop by the store the next time your hungry." - Repair
post #5 of 14 Old 09-08-2013, 01:16 PM

fcuk, what a mess

the dealer has to pay, it is not even worth to be discussed!

good luck in getting your bike replaced quick

shadow

- Z1000 2011 ABS Black Edition BATBIKE
Rizoma crash pads & front fork & muffler protectors, matt windshield, tail tidy kit, alu mirrors, 16T FS, Arrow headers
- Intruder VS1400
Vance&Hines, Jet Kit stage 2
post #6 of 14 Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ouch!
sorry to hear it.

good luck.

now i'm scared to get aftermarket levers.

2012 Z1000, stock.... for now.
1999 ZX-7R, sold.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-08-2013, 03:16 PM

I, fortunately, read about issues with aftermarket chinese levers and was very careful with the install. Haven't had any issues with the brake lever until my last ride, the front brake lever started to make a clicking sound when activated, like something is kinda grinding or something. I expect it is probably the spring for the adjustment has gotten rusty, but I will be disassembling the lever and looking at it before my next ride.

2010 Z1000 Black/Caliente Red: Puig Pro Sliders, Puig Windscreen, Fender Eliminator with LED turn signals, CF Solo Seat Cowl, CF Mirrors with Integrated LED turn signals, 16/40 gearing, shorty levers.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-08-2013, 04:10 PM

Mate sorry to hear but great to hear you are ok.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 14 Old 09-08-2013, 08:47 PM

sorry to hear that man!! I would call a lawyer if I were you!
post #10 of 14 Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 PM

I would have your insurance company call the dealership where you took it and have them deal it out. That way you can see how they act when they get that call from them.
It sucks that it happened and i'm sure it sucks not having the bike. But it's good you weren't on it when it went down. But it's good to have a reminder about the cheap levers and making sure they are installed correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page