break in, question. - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-13-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
break in, question.

I just find out in this forum you should ride no more than 4000rpm in the first 400 miles.
I just got my z1000 from a different state so I rode back for 145 miles on highway, maybe 6000 rpm to 7000rpm
Did I ruin my bike?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-14-2017, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Garage
The RPM isn't as much of a problem. That straight 145 miles on the highway would be more of an issue. During break in you want to go up and down the RPM range instead of keeping it at a certain RPM for long periods of time.

I tried (key word tried) to keep mine at or below 5000rpm till the first oil change at 600 miles. Then tried to keep it at or below 7000 till around 1500 miles. Then I put a full exhaust, programmer, intake, kleen air delete etc... on it and rode the hell out of it. Now I have over 8000 miles on her and she's still runnin strong.

"You're not drunk until you have to grab the grass to keep from falling off the Earth."

"It's not a party until someone throws up on a stripper."

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-14-2017, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Hell, ride it like you stole it!! Up and down the Rs like 92K1500 said.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-14-2017, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Its funny, really, to hear so many opinions on break in..was this good, or bad....?

This bike has been available since late 2009. That, what, almost seven years worth of this style z 1000? And thats without ever mentioning the ninja 1000, which uses this same engine.

I would think thats long enough that we should be seeing problems related to this "bad" break in so many warn us about, isn't it? Or, did every previous owner do a correct break in,and yours is the first that was "badly" broken in?

If this was anything, we would have seen problems, or maybe that takes 10 years to surface?
post #5 of 11 Old 05-14-2017, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
[QUOTE=rcannon;2189754]Its funny, really, to hear so many opinions on break in..was this good, or bad....?

I dooes my own thing. And theys can do thares. Can't argue with success!
post #6 of 11 Old 05-14-2017, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I rode my quad like I stole it and now it uses more oil than a 2 stroke.

"You're not drunk until you have to grab the grass to keep from falling off the Earth."

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-14-2017, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have heard so many opinions on break in my head was about to break in.

My 2016 z1k has about 250 on the clock now. Riding it like I stole it from the first mile.

If something breaks I have warranty until next year.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-15-2017, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I did follow the break in they said in the book, but not for as long as they said. I don't ride very far so it would have taken me 6 months to break it in following their mileage. I think varying RPMs is the most important part for a couple hundred miles and I personally would not beat the bag out of it until the first service. I still don't beat the bag out of it but I'll get close to the rev limiter now. I don't think you will see any immediate issues but down the road you might see more oil consumption or loss of compression sooner than someone who followed break in procedure. Just my opinion. Everyone has their own way.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
According to the engineers at Mercury Marine that were on the racing program back when my buddy's dad owned the marina and did lots of testing for Mercury, they can tell how the engines were broken in when they pull them apart. Sure boats are different as you just set the throttle and it stays at the same RPM all day long, but it's still an engine. I have also been around some engine builders most of my life so I'll listen to what they say based off their experience.

post #10 of 11 Old 05-15-2017, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
I heard a ducati regional rep comment that the only issues he ever saw, related to breka in, were those who broke in easy.

The rings would not seat properly and the bikes burned oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page